From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Configuration Tools
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:58:54
On Saturday 24 January 2004 20:41, Tiemo Kieft wrote:
> > 1) Organize the project :) > > 2) Decide which tools are going to be made > > 3) Setting up requirements for each individual tool > > 4) Setting up requirements that are valid for all tools > > 5) Implementation decissions (ie language) > > Since noone seems to have any comment on this, we can start with step 2. > We have to decide which tools are actually going to be designed. I > propose the following, comments are, naturally, welcome :) : > > 1) Runlevel editor: to add and remove services from runlevels, and to > start, stop and restart services. I actually made this, some time ago, > screenie can be found at: > Although I made it > myself completely, it's based on redhats tool.
This seems quite obvious to me
> 2) Network configuration editor
What exactly do you mean by this. A network interface configurator?
> > 3) Portage editor: to edit all variables in /etc/make.conf, including > selecting mirrors, and adding use-flags >
What would be great is an editor that would also allow the specification of package use flags (with nice descriptions etc.) and mask/unmask as supported by the prereleases.
> 4) User administration tool: to administrate local users.
Gentoo is for this not different to any other distro. While we might want to create a superior user editing tool with say kerberos and ldap support, I don't think it should have priority. We could of course just addapt a general one to get the same look-and-feel.
> > Suggestions are welcome, keep in mind that we are deciding on which apps > to make. The individual requirements are the next step.
Paul -- Paul de Vrieze Gentoo Developer Mail: pauldv@g.o Homepage:

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Configuration Tools Tiemo Kieft <blubber@g.o>