From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Configuration Tools
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:58:54
1 On Saturday 24 January 2004 20:41, Tiemo Kieft wrote:
2 > > 1) Organize the project :)
3 > > 2) Decide which tools are going to be made
4 > > 3) Setting up requirements for each individual tool
5 > > 4) Setting up requirements that are valid for all tools
6 > > 5) Implementation decissions (ie language)
7 >
8 > Since noone seems to have any comment on this, we can start with step 2.
9 > We have to decide which tools are actually going to be designed. I
10 > propose the following, comments are, naturally, welcome :) :
11 >
12 > 1) Runlevel editor: to add and remove services from runlevels, and to
13 > start, stop and restart services. I actually made this, some time ago,
14 > screenie can be found at:
15 > http://blubber.student.utwente.nl/~blubber/gct.png Although I made it
16 > myself completely, it's based on redhats tool.
17
18 This seems quite obvious to me
19
20 > 2) Network configuration editor
21
22 What exactly do you mean by this. A network interface configurator?
25 > 3) Portage editor: to edit all variables in /etc/make.conf, including
26 > selecting mirrors, and adding use-flags
29 What would be great is an editor that would also allow the specification of
30 package use flags (with nice descriptions etc.) and mask/unmask as supported
31 by the prereleases.
32
33 > 4) User administration tool: to administrate local users.
34
35 Gentoo is for this not different to any other distro. While we might want to
36 create a superior user editing tool with say kerberos and ldap support, I
37 don't think it should have priority. We could of course just addapt a general
38 one to get the same look-and-feel.
41 > Suggestions are welcome, keep in mind that we are deciding on which apps
42 > to make. The individual requirements are the next step.
43
44 Paul
47 Paul de Vrieze
48 Gentoo Developer