From: Matthew Schick <matt@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Desktop - Proposal
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 08:13:27
I've attached a copy of the non-core applications that we've come up
with so far.  This list is by no means complete, but I think all the
major bases are covered...

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 02:25 +0000, James William Dumay wrote:

> Yeah, I sat down and thought about it some more. Heres what I have come > up with. I welcome flames, comments and changes to the document.
Looks good to me, just a few minor points:
> - Novell's plans to use Ximian Desktop as the proffered desktop on > SuSE Linux instead of KDE
Novel isn't planning on replacing KDE as the default ATM. To quote from the SUSE letter ( to the KDE folks: "...we will also enable our customers to use GNOME with the same convenience and comfort KDE offers..."
> - Hardware detection and configuration scripts and services.
This is one of the goals of the Installer project, and the time frame will prolly mean moving it to the second Milestone.
> - Prefered Application Handling and Mimeinfo settings
Extending the current GNOME Preferred Application to include audio and video at the very least would be a good thing. --- Matt

File name MIME type
Desktop Package List.txt text/plain
signature.asc application/pgp-signature