From: Matthew Schick <matt@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Desktop - Proposal
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 08:13:27
1 I've attached a copy of the non-core applications that we've come up
2 with so far. This list is by no means complete, but I think all the
3 major bases are covered...
4
5 On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 02:25 +0000, James William Dumay wrote:
6
7 > Yeah, I sat down and thought about it some more. Heres what I have come
8 > up with. I welcome flames, comments and changes to the document.
9
10 Looks good to me, just a few minor points:
11
12 > - Novell's plans to use Ximian Desktop as the proffered desktop on
13 > SuSE Linux instead of KDE
14
15 Novel isn't planning on replacing KDE as the default ATM. To quote from
16 the SUSE letter
17 (http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=106855804831790&w=2) to the
18 KDE folks: "...we will also enable our
19 customers to use GNOME with the same convenience and comfort KDE offers..."
20
21 > - Hardware detection and configuration scripts and services.
22
23 This is one of the goals of the Installer project, and the time frame
24 will prolly mean moving it to the second Milestone.
25
26 > - Prefered Application Handling and Mimeinfo settings
27
28 Extending the current GNOME Preferred Application to include audio and
29 video at the very least would be a good thing.
30
31 ---
32 Matt

Desktop Package List.txt text/plain