From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] ESD options in a gnome session
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 20:53:41
1 When I start a gnome session, ESD starts with the --nobeeps option, and
2 no other options. I have "Enable software sound mixing (ESD)" checked
3 in the Sound Preferences dialog, and I assume ESD is started because of
4 this. I have to have this checked in order to get system sounds
5 enabled, which I want.
6
7 I also want to direct the system sounds to a separate sound channel via
8 an ALSA device, so I want to add "-d pcm.lcd" to the ESD invocation. Is
9 there any place in my desktop session configuration where this can be
10 controlled, or is it hard-coded into gnome?
11
12 I used to do this by setting auto_spawn=1 in /etc/esd/esd.conf and
13 specifying the device in spawn_options. Now I note that we have a new
14 comment in esd.conf saying:
15
16 # autospawning is not recommended, since it can't really be done
17 # right. If you want your login session to be using a sound daemon,
18 # you should start it from the session controller, not some random
19 # app inside.
20
21 ... so I let etc-update set auto_spawn=0 and tried to do this with
22 session startup programs, but apparently esd is already running when
23 these programs run, so I have to kill the esd process and restart it,
24 and it looses its connection with gnome - i.e. no system sounds.
25
26 So I'm still looking for the place where I can configure the ESD
27 invocation on a per-session basis. In the meantime, I can make this
28 work OK by turning auto-spawning back on globally.
31 Lindsay Haisley | "In an open world, | PGP public key
32 FMP Computer Services | who needs Windows | available at
33 512-259-1190 | or Gates" | http://pubkeys.fmp.com
34 http://www.fmp.com | |
37 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list