From: James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 12:43:04
1 >>>>> "LH" == Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com> writes:
2
3 LH> It seems that all
4 LH> my /dev/hda? drives have been renamed /dev/sda? so I set gave
5 LH> "root=/dev/sda4" as a kernel parameter and got a little further. After
6 LH> "Checking root filesystem" in the boot sequence, I got a message that
7 LH> the UUID for the root filesystem wasn't understood in /etc/fstab.
8
9 LH> So I set the root filesystem in /etc/fstab to /dev/sda4, and got the
10 LH> same error - that "/dev/sda4" was not understood either, although the
11 LH> kernel seemed to understand this just fine as a boot parameter, and once
12 LH> again, I'm dumped into a very limited single-user mode.
13
14 It sounds like you do not have the required block special files in /dev.
15
16 With current udev, I use devtmpfs for /dev. It looks like having
17 devtmpfs support compiled into the kernel is enough.
18
19 If you don't have that, or if there is something in /etc/fstab competing
20 against /etc/init.d/udev-mount, that might explain the problem.
21
22 -JimC
23 --
24 James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6