From: es <es.xorg@×××××××.info>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] no meta ALT: no ctrl-alt-F key setxkbmap: Error loading new keyboard description
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:17:29
1 Greetings,
2 I can't use any combination in X of (right) ALT-GR. and switch the VT
3 with ctrl+alt + Fkey.
4 On text terminal all works as espected.
5 The same problem as described here
6 http://www.linux.lu/pipermail/lilux-help/2004-October/000642.html
7
8 I looked at all post regarding this error but I wasn't able to find any
9 solution yet. In particular here
10 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=262667
11 and here http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=245644
12 advice to check for consistance between the file
13 /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp and /usr/X11R6/bin/xkbcomp
14 And they are the same file!
15
16 setxkbmap -model pc -layout it
17 Error loading new keyboard description
18 setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout it
19 Error loading new keyboard description
20 setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout it
21 Error loading new keyboard description
22
23 setxkbmap -v 10 -model pc -layout it
24 Setting verbose level to 10
25 locale is C
26 Warning! Multiple definitions of keyboard model
27 Using command line, ignoring X server
28 Warning! Multiple definitions of keyboard layout
29 Using command line, ignoring X server
30 Applied rules from xorg:
31 model: pc
32 layout: it
33 Trying to build keymap using the following components:
34 keycodes: xfree86+aliases(qwerty)
35 types: complete
36 compat: complete
37 symbols: pc/pc(pc105)+pc/it
38 geometry: pc(pc104)
39 Error loading new keyboard description
40
41 setxkbmap -v 10 -rules xorg -model pc104 -layout it -option "grg:switch"
42 ... guess the output
45 Made the same test modifying xorg.conf with the same results this is an
46 example of configuration I used:
47
48 Section "InputDevice"
49 Identifier "Keyboard0"
50 Driver "kbd"
51 Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
52 Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
53 Option "XkbLayout" "it"
54 Option "XKbOptions" ""
55 EndSection
58 relevant part of /var/log/Xorg.0.log
61 (**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
62 (**) Keyboard0: Core Keyboard
63 (**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
64 (**) Keyboard0: Protocol: standard
65 (**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
66 (**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
67 (**) Keyboard0: XkbRules: "xorg"
68 (**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
69 (**) Keyboard0: XkbModel: "pc105"
70 (**) Option "XkbLayout" "it"
71 (**) Keyboard0: XkbLayout: "it"
72 (**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
73 (**) Keyboard0: CustomKeycodes disabled
74 (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
75 (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
76 (EE) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
79 both /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/it and /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/it are present
80
81 In knoppix it works with the same configuration... i'm wondering if
82 etc-update last time have messed the things up I don't remeber which
83 file of xorg It updated... and no I had not CVS /etc unfortunatly
84 xorg version 6.8.0-r1 on gentoo
85
86 any advice?
87 tia