From: Brent Busby <brent@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 05:24:23
On Mon, 21 Mar 2011, Lindsay Haisley wrote:

> I don't know. According to the the ebuild notes with udev, the IDE > facility in the kernel is completely depricated and needs to be turned > off entirely to prevent unexpected results. If I build IDE as a > module, my concern is that the module will get auto-loaded and I'll be > back in the same boat. So I'll use a more recent kernel and turn IDE > off altogether and we'll see what happens.
Yes, turn the whole Pata section off. After that, everything should be recognizable with "sd" rather than "hd" device names, in both Grub and /etc/fstab. Also, to save yourself trouble, build the drivers for the Sata subsystem and your particular controller chipset into the kernel, and forget about initrd's. The only thing they're good for is distros that have to run on whatever they're booting up on. The minute you have to compile your own kernel to suit yourself, you might as well get rid of the hassle of initrd's while you're at it. -- + Brent A. Busby + "We've all heard that a million monkeys + UNIX Systems Admin + banging on a million typewriters will + University of Chicago + eventually reproduce the entire works of + Physical Sciences Div. + Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, + James Franck Institute + we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky