From: "Mike C. Fletcher" <mcfletch@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Timeline for merging gatos into xorg?
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:24:40
1 I've just been reading a post to gentoo-desktop from July (X fall preview):
2
3 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.desktop/1271
4
5 which suggests that the ATI gatos drivers are going to be merged into
6 Gentoo "soon" (I assume as part of xorg, since that's the new standard,
7 and it apparently has an xorg version), which I interpret given the
8 title to mean "sometime before the fall". Just wondering if anyone
9 knows whether this is still a "soon" (i.e. hold your horses, we meant
10 sometime *during* the fall, not 4 days in), if something's gone wrong
11 with merging it, or if there's a more concrete timeline.
12
13 Not trying to be pushy, just trying to decide whether it would be
14 worthwhile to go ahead and try to build gatos with xorg manually (which
15 appears to be a bit messy), or whether I should just wait a few weeks
16 for a new xorg. My little sister can handle a few weeks without
17 television now that she's back in school, but if it gets to be a month
18 without MacGyver there'll be heck to pay :) .
19
20 Alternately, if anyone has a recipe for building ati-gatos on Gentoo
21 (for amd64 w/ 6.7 kernel and xorg-6.8) that doesn't involve karking up
22 xorg, would be happy to hear about that.
23
24 Thanks all,
25 Mike
26
27 >DRIVERS:
28 >ATI and nVidia binary drivers are being maintained and stay current with
29 >upstream. Matrox binary drivers are not doing so well but are updated
30 >occasionally. Kyro binary drivers are largely ignored, and upstream does
31 >not plan to update them for 2.6 kernels. ati-gatos has an X.Org- and
32 >XFree86 4.4-compatible version in testing upstream, planned for
33 >inclusion in Gentoo soon.
34 >
36 Mike C. Fletcher
37 Designer, VR Plumber, Coder