From: "Bryan D. Stine" <battousai@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Timeline for merging gatos into xorg?
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 03:39:41
1 On Saturday 25 September 2004 01:24 pm, Mike C. Fletcher wrote:
2 > I've just been reading a post to gentoo-desktop from July (X fall preview):
3 >
4 > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.desktop/1271
5 >
6 > which suggests that the ATI gatos drivers are going to be merged into
7 > Gentoo "soon" (I assume as part of xorg, since that's the new standard,
8 > and it apparently has an xorg version), which I interpret given the
9 > title to mean "sometime before the fall". Just wondering if anyone
10 > knows whether this is still a "soon" (i.e. hold your horses, we meant
11 > sometime *during* the fall, not 4 days in), if something's gone wrong
12 > with merging it, or if there's a more concrete timeline.
13
14 I've got no idea about the timeline for the upstream GATOS merge. I do have a
15 working ebuild for ati-4.4.0 against X.org 6.7.0 and I was able to make a
16 trivial patch to allow it to build against 6.8.0, so whenever I get a chance
17 (which probably means whenever I get usable Internet access at school
18 *cough*) I will push the files and ebuild up.
19
20 I apologize for not having done this earlier. I was planning to do it during
21 the first week of college, but our network is being overrun by viruses and
22 it's still rarely up. I've been told by staffers that it could be sorta up as
23 early as Monday afternoon, so I'll try my best to get the job done then.
24
25 > Not trying to be pushy, just trying to decide whether it would be
26 > worthwhile to go ahead and try to build gatos with xorg manually (which
27 > appears to be a bit messy), or whether I should just wait a few weeks
28 > for a new xorg. My little sister can handle a few weeks without
29 > television now that she's back in school, but if it gets to be a month
30 > without MacGyver there'll be heck to pay :) .
31
32 I'm the same way with Futurama and Family Guy...and Gamecube...and
33 MXC...perhaps I should cut back a little...
34
35 Back on-topic, if you want any more help or info about GATOS with Gentoo, feel
36 free to email me.
37
38 > Alternately, if anyone has a recipe for building ati-gatos on Gentoo
39 > (for amd64 w/ 6.7 kernel and xorg-6.8) that doesn't involve karking up
40 > xorg, would be happy to hear about that.
41 >
42 > Thanks all,
43 > Mike
44 >
45 > >DRIVERS:
46 > >ATI and nVidia binary drivers are being maintained and stay current with
47 > >upstream. Matrox binary drivers are not doing so well but are updated
48 > >occasionally. Kyro binary drivers are largely ignored, and upstream does
49 > >not plan to update them for 2.6 kernels. ati-gatos has an X.Org- and
50 > >XFree86 4.4-compatible version in testing upstream, planned for
51 > >inclusion in Gentoo soon.
52 >
54 > Mike C. Fletcher
55 > Designer, VR Plumber, Coder