From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] VMware Workstation 6.0?
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 18:16:30
On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 06:56 -0800, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> supported hosts can be found ..." disclaimer. All I'm saying is that > they don't "support" us -- why should we "support" them by distributing > their package and even supplying patches so that it works on Gentoo?
For starters, I don't have such a self-absorbed view of the world. I use VMware products. I use them on Gentoo. So do lots of other people. Because of this, I will continue to spend my *volunteer* time doing what I think I should do and will be supporting VMware. I don't care that they don't support Gentoo. They have supported my maintaining VMware Workstation (so far) by providing me with free licenses. Whether they continue to do this in the future or not is unknown, but it won't affect my maintaining the package.
> I think I had this discussion a while back, and the upshot was that a > number of the Gentoo developers used VMware Workstation themselves, so > they made it work, and as long as VMware didn't forbid them from > distributing it, they didn't see anything wrong with distributing it.
There's not really a *they* about it. I've been maintaining VMware Workstation for a couple years now, all by my little self. If you talked to anyone but me, you were mistaken. ;]
> Gentoo developer resources are finite, though, and if you've got the > right hardware in place, Xen beats the doodoo out of VMware for quite a > few "interesting" tasks like running a Windows guest. Gentoo developer > resources being finite ... :)
Finite and completely voluntary on what we want to work on within the confines of Gentoo. Until someone pays me *not* to maintain VMware products or until I lose interest, I will continue to do so, user wishes be damned. (In case you're wondering, I don't develop Gentoo for the users, I do it entirely for myself. That doesn't mean that I don't support our users, it means that I do this solely due to my own motivations and wishes, like many open source developers. Making users happy is just a positive side-effect.) -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering Strategic Lead Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee Gentoo Foundation

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop] VMware Workstation 6.0? Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>