From: Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] *kit free desktop profile
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 09:03:22
1 Le Sat, 20 Oct 2012 23:07:40 +0300,
2 Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××.name> a écrit :
3
4 > Hi!
5 >
6 > On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 08:07:31PM +0200, Dominique Michel wrote:
7 > > USE="-consolekit -policykit -udisks -upower"
8 >
9 > I'm using fluxbox, but, of course, I need ability to run gnome and kde
10 > applications (but not gnome/kde itself). Last time I tried to switch
11 > off these USE-flags it doesn't work. Best I got is:
12 >
13 > /etc/make.conf:
14 > USE="${USE} -policykit -upower"
15 > /etc/portage/package.use
16 > # required by udisks
17 > sys-fs/udev extras gudev hwdb
18 > # required by polkit, consolekit
19 > sys-auth/pambase consolekit
20 > # required by polkit, udisks, clementine
21 > sys-auth/consolekit policykit
24 Most parts of kde just work fine without *kit. The problem is with
25 gnome applications, but it is alternatives in most (all?) cases, and I
26 can live without gnome. I was never fan of it.
27
28 As me, you made a choice. GNU/linux is not about freedom, but also
29 about choice, because freedom is also the freedom of choice. I will not
30 force you to remove clementine from your system, so don't force me to
31 install *kit. If some day in the future, it is no other choice about
32 *kit than to install it, I just will shift to another OS. I don't want
33 it and this is not negotiable. If GNU/linux become like windows, thanks
34 to polkit, I will choose the tangent and find an alternative.
35
36 My choice was to remove all the apps that depend on an idiotic software
37 that cause severe regressions into my system (startx that doesn't work
38 without to run *kit, that when my desktop, fvwm-crystal, know nothing
39 about it! and auto mounting that doesn't worked any more). So, the only
40 3 things that made polkit for me was 1) to screw up a good working
41 system, 2) to force me to run the totaly non needed daemon that screwed
42 up my system and is a waste of system resources, and last but not least,
43 3) to force me to run a software that screwed up my system and that is
44 totally non manageable.
45
46 Cheers,
47 Dominique