From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Nautilus-CD-Burner issue
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 23:38:13
1 Thus spake Chris Gianelloni on Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 11:18:19AM CST
2 > On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 09:25 -0600, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
3 > > As I keep up with Gentoo system updates small things change from time to
4 > > time, most of which aren't worth bothering with and I can chalk them up to
5 > > 'progress' (I hope :-) Used to be, when I inserted a writable
6 > > CD into my CD writer, The Nautilus CD-Writer utility would auto-start. Of
7 > > late, this no longer happens, and it's convenient and I'd like to be able to
8 > > turn this feature back on.
9 > >
10 > > Inserting a CD with data on it still puts an icon on my desktop and
11 > > auto-mounts the CD (as per my fstab), and I can still manage a writable CD
12 > > by explicitly opening the Nautilus-CD-Burner or X-CD-Roast. Does any one
13 > > know any way to control the auto-start feature for Nautilus-CD-Burner?
14 > > There doesn't seem to be anything in the Nautilus preferences dialog about
15 > > this, and I've poked through the GConf tree and found nothing there, either.
16 > >
17 > > The feature is turned on in my "CD and DVD Preferenes" and when a writeable
18 > > CD is deteced it's supposed to run "nautilus --no-desktop burn:" which works
19 > > if I execute it from the CLI. It's just that the system doesn't seem to be
20 > > detecting the presence of a writeable CD in the drive.
21 >
22 > Do you have "hal" in your USE and have you done an "rc-update add hald
23 > default"?
24 >
25 > I'm pretty sure that this will solve it as Gnome has gone to using
26 > hald/dbus for most of their detections.
27
28 OK, thanks. I'll reasearch this. I should note, however, that 'hal' isn't
29 listed in /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc (last update, Nov. 29) which
30 someone should perhaps look into. I don't have hal on the system, but will
31 install it.
32
33 If I add 'hal' to my USE list, how much of gnome am I going to have to
34 rebuild to get this working?
35
36 If gnome now depends on hal and dbus for detections, perhaps the relevant
37 gnome ebuilds should contain dependencies to these. I know nothing about
38 these packages, but that's nothing new. Gnome, Gentoo and other systems
39 move so fast that every couple of weeks I have to go back to school ;-)
42 Lindsay Haisley | "Fighting against human | PGP public key
43 FMP Computer Services | creativity is like | available at
44 512-259-1190 | trying to eradicate | <http://pubkeys.fmp.com>
45 http://www.fmp.com | dandelions" |
46 | (Pamela Jones) |
49 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list