From: Brent Busby <brent@×××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Desktop Listserv <gentoo-desktop@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] KDE Sunset Amarok
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 18:03:18
1 Recently, something apparently changed on my system during an update
2 such that Amarok 1 from KDE Sunset will no longer build with the mp4 USE
3 flag turned on. Since that effectively means that it would no longer be
4 able to play M4A files ripped from YouTube streams, that would
5 effectively end my interest in Amarok, so I tried upgrading to the new
6 QT4 version just to see if it's as awful as everybody says.
7
8 It is as awful as everybody says.
9
10 It will play MP4, but the layout is absurd. It has a tab for Internet
11 streams that doesn't let you add any streams the author didn't include
12 with it. It wants you to put your streams into playlists, but doesn't
13 let you give them titles. It feels slow and unresponsive, and from my
14 brief usage of the program, it doesn't seem to support global
15 (desktop-wide) hotkeys -- you have to focus its window to make it do
16 things like advance to the next track. It also no longer lets you do
17 things like delete actual files while deleting playlist items like
18 Amarok 1 used to (useful for those songs you've just had it with).
19 When playing user-added Internet streams from your playlist (the only
20 place they can be, thanks to the above), if anything goes wrong
21 connecting to them, they get removed, which is fun if they playlist you
22 currently have running was the only place they were saved.
23
24 So...I'd really like my Amarok 1.4 back...
25
26 Has anyone else had problems building it with MP4 support lately?
29 Addendum: (Also, in an unrelated note, has anyone noticed that the EAPI
30 warnings from the overlay have gotten really heinous lately during world
31 updates?)
34 + Brent A. Busby + "We've all heard that a million monkeys
35 + Sr. UNIX Systems Admin + banging on a million typewriters will
36 + University of Chicago + eventually reproduce the entire works of
37 + James Franck Institute + Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet,
38 + Materials Research Ctr + we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky