From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Desktop problem with /dev/hda
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 03:18:23
1 Brent Busby wrote:
2 > On Sat, 11 Sep 2010, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
3 >
4 >> Ugh!! This sounds like the roadblock I ran into! The problem
5 >> drive, /dev/hda, holds the root filesystem and several others, and
6 >> didn't show up at all in /dev. Since the system also has several SATA
7 >> drives, I'm using the sata_promise kernel module for these, but the SATA
8 >> system on the MB is managed by a Promise chipset, which supposedly
9 >> implements hardware RAID but it's proprietary so I'm just using plain
10 >> old discrete non-RAID mode.
11 >>
12 >> I have rather a conflict here, since I already have a /dev/sda.
13 >>
14 >> Is there a HOWTO for using libata-supported kernel components, and
15 >> configuring them in the kernel? The MB has an ICH5 controller hub,
16 >> which I assume handles the PATA IF. lspci shows:
17 >>
18 >> IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE
19 >> Controller (rev 02)
20 >>
21 >> The linux kernel here already has CONFIG_ATA_PIIX, which supposedly
22 >> talks the lingo of the ICH series I/O controller hub. What else do I
23 >> need here, or where can I go to learn more?
24 >
25 > If you go through the list of drivers in the Sata section, toward the
26 > second half of the list, there are Pata drivers. They used to be
27 > deprecated, but now they're the only ones that are supported. You
28 > just need to find the Pata drivers (in the Sata section) that
29 > correspond to what you've got (you'll probably have to look around a
30 > bit), and then turn off the entire old Pata section. There should
31 > probably be a Pata driver in the new Sata section though that handles
32 > Intel PIIX chipset; it's pretty common.
33 >
34 > The danger that will make you want to keep a rescue CD handy is that
35 > it's hard to predict how your devices are going to get enumerated at
36 > bootup under these new semantics, or to know whether it will match
37 > what you've got in your fstab. If you need a good rescue CD though,
38 > I'd recommend System Rescue CD (http://www.sysresccd.org/), which is
39 > based on Gentoo and handles about anything.
42 Noticed something in another reply that I thought I would mention right
43 quick. My mobo has on board IDE controller. I also have a SATA PCI
44 card with a drive connected to it as well. This may help you to know.
45 When I recently converted mine over to PATA/SATA, it sees the drive on
46 the SATA controller first then the drives connected to the mobo. So,
47 you may want to anticipate that the SATA drives will be sda, sdb and so
48 on, then any drives connected to your mobo afterwards. This was
49 somewhat of a surprise when I did this. Thank goodness grub is pretty
50 forgiving and helps the idiot in the chair. lol I wasn't sure where
51 my root partition was anymore.
52
53 Hope that helps just in case you have something similar.
54
55 Dale
56