From: Brent Busby <brent@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] questions and sundry gripes about X11 multihead (it's a rant)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 16:05:25
1 On Mon, 30 Dec 2013, Fat-Zer wrote:
2
3 > Could you be more specific? e.g. provide some links to bugs, mail
4 > archives or whatever with subj discussions. I'm using multihead
5 > ?Zaphod mode?, or whatever it's called, on nvidia's blob for 3 years
6 > and haven't noticed any problems. (Except I had some KDE3/TDE-related
7 > ones. But It's an another story...). Xorg.0.log yields that RandR is
8 > disabled but I still can rotate/resize screen with xrandr. So I never
9 > faced with issues you're talking about. On the other hand I'm a bit
10 > concerned about all this situation. Because it would be damn sad if
11 > whoever will drop support for it in future.
12
13 Sorry, I was just in a bad mood and spewing generally about things.
14 Just for starters though:
15
16 http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?20384-Zaphod-mode-with-the-Open-Source-Driver
17
18 http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-x11/2013/06/29/msg001263.html
19
20 I did get the impression during my trawl of the forums that the nVidia
21 closed driver still offers some support for this configuration, but even
22 that is depressing to me: As soon as we reach a point where only one
23 non-FOSS driver is fully supporting a feature that used to be a basic
24 part of X-Windows, it's basically dead. It's now become a perk of
25 running nVidia hardware that will be with us for only as long as nVidia
26 wants to continue indulging us.
27
28 And that support only comes in a driver that the Linux kernel developers
29 understandably don't like very much...
32 + Brent A. Busby + "We've all heard that a million monkeys
33 + Sr. UNIX Systems Admin + banging on a million typewriters will
34 + University of Chicago + eventually reproduce the entire works of
35 + James Franck Institute + Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet,
36 + Materials Research Ctr + we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky