From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Gnome 3 instant messaging
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 00:04:14
1 On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Serghei Amelian <serghei@××××.ro> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 21 March 2012 23:28:11 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Serghei Amelian <serghei@××××.ro> wrote:
4 >> > On Wednesday 21 March 2012 23:13:07 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 >> > [...]
6 >> >
7 >> >> > Is it possible to get skype into this as well?
8 >> >>
9 >> >> No, and I don't think it will ever be possible. Skype uses a
10 >> >> proprietary protocol, and (AFAIK), there are not 3rd-party clients for
11 >> >> it.
12 >> >
13 >> > Actually... http://developer.skype.com/public/skypekit
14 >>
15 >> I had heard about it; but I haven't heard anything about a different
16 >> Linux client for Skype that the one provided by Skype. Do you know
17 >> about any? I would love to have a GTK+ client for Skype (Skype it's
18 >> the only application that I [seldom] use that uses Qt).
19 >>
20 >> Regards.
21 >
22 > Hmm, not exactly. Check this plugin for libpurple (used by Pidgin):
23 > http://code.google.com/p/skype4pidgin/
24
25 Ouch, that sucks. You still need Skype running; what I wanted was not
26 to install Qt, not having it "hidden".
27
28 Now that Skype is owned by Microsoft, I'm pretty sure will never see
29 an independent native 3rd-party client on Linux.
30
31 Regards.
32 --
33 Canek Peláez Valdés