From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Nvidia video problems
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:55:33
1 Can someone give me some guidance with regard to setting up xorg-x11-7.0-r1 to
2 work with my Gainward GeForce 4 video card? Everything was working just fine
3 with xorg-x11-6.8.2-r8 but after an emerge, X refuses to run! I get the
4 following complaint in my Xorg.0.log file:
5
6 (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
7 (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
8
9 I've tried installing (unstable) nvidia-drivers and nvidia-legacy-drivers, but
10 the kernel complains about an invlaid kernel module. I get the same error if I
11 use the (stable) nvidia-kernel module. My current kernel version is
12 2.6.15-gentoo-r1. I can't go backwards. Because xorg-x11 has been so
13 thoroughly reorganized and modularized I have something like 134 blockers
14 (individual packages!) which would have to be individually removed before I
15 could back-version to my previous xorg-x11.
16
17 So I'm stuck without a desktop system until I can get this figured out. Any
18 solid advice will be very much appreciated.
19
20 I'm going to try updating my kernel version. Maybe that will help.
23 Lindsay Haisley | "Fighting against human | PGP public key
24 FMP Computer Services | creativity is like | available at
25 512-259-1190 | trying to eradicate | <http://pubkeys.fmp.com>
26 http://www.fmp.com | dandelions" |
27 | (Pamela Jones) |
28 --