From: Hector Pizarro <hpizarro@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Backup
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 14:58:56
1 I have 2 different distributions all the time, the main one is always gentoo
2 with bleeding edge software, the other one these last times is usually
3 debian. Once a month I boot my PC with the system rescue Live CD and backup
4 my gentoo partition with partimage. The software has an easy to follow
5 interfase, you can create a compressed file with all the contents of the
6 partition, a .bz2 file is the best but it is too slow for me, so I go for
7 the .tar.gz file. Partimage only compresses the used space of the partition
8 which is really cool, you can have a 30Gb gentoo system but if you are using
9 only 2Gb the final file can easily be of about 1Gb. Then, I store the backup
10 file twice, inside a second disk in my pc and burned in a DVDRW.
11
12 If you need to recover from the file you only have to use partimage again and
13 have a destination partition of the same size of the original. If the new
14 partition is smaller the program will complain, if it is bigger the exceeding
15 size will be lost. I have erased completely a disk, created partitions again
16 and used partimage without any problem. It can even back up w2k!
17
18 One small problem with the livecd is that it doesn't load the modules for my
19 usb keyboard on load, each time i have to swap to a ps2 keyboard to do this
20 process.
21
22 Good luck.
23