From: eamjr56@×××××.com
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 07:44:34
Now that you explained more fully the situation  and why and what led to your problems I understand some of your frustrations. Sometimes wanting to fix one thing leads to other complex issues. Maybe (being Gentoo-specific) would be first to build your toolchain (linux-headers, glibc, binutils,and gcc) to today's versions then a "emerge -e world" so all of your stuff will be new and compatable-(your original problem). All of this can be done in the background while you keep working.                                                This is only one option. Feel free to use it or not. Sometimes I cuss the Gentoo devs for things they do that screws up my installs too.         As to your kernel question as to "default" switches in Gentoo kernel I really don't think there are. Gen-kernel is one answer, but it never worked for me, I always had to get dirty with "make menuconfig".         Hope you figure it out.  Cheers