From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: KDE-Sunset : anyone home ?
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 03:03:21
1 Philip Webb posted on Sun, 28 Oct 2012 19:55:33 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > I sent in a msg last week re failure of kdelibs-3.5.10-r6 to compile.
4 > Sadly, no-one has responded.
5 >
6 > No complaint to anyone, but is the Kde-Sunset overlay still supported ?
7 > If no-one remains interested in it, I can drop it & move on ;
8 > if someone who knows re it is still around, can they advise ?
9 > Without Kdelibs KDE is unusable.
10
11 It would be nice if a gentoo dev would take up trinity and get it in the
12 tree, or at least in kde sunset. But I've seen nary a hint of that.
13
14 I won't try to get anyone off of kde-sunset as I respect the reasons they
15 are still on it. However, if someone is ready to give up on it and move
16 on, I do know a couple of alternatives I can suggest, and offer my help
17 as I can.
20 Here, I'm running kde4, but with USE=-semantic-desktop, and a bunch of
21 other related flags (virtuoso, rasqual, redland...) turned off. It does
22 mean avoiding anything kdepim related, including kmail, since that brings
23 in akonadi, which ultimately forces semantic-desktop back on, but there
24 are alternatives to kmail. Here, I'm running (gtk-based) claws-mail for
25 both mail and feeds (replacing akregator). For those running kde3's
26 amorok, clemintine is the alternative, tho I switched to something much
27 different, mpd with various frontends, here. Even with multiple
28 frontends, mpd's still way lighter on resources. But it doesn't have the
29 nice database setup of amarok/clemintine. I didn't need or use that
30 anyway, so I was fine with mpd, but many will need it and for them
31 clemintine is the better choice.
32
33 I had switched to kde4 long before I turned off semantic-desktop, etc, so
34 I can't give a direct comparison of kde3 to kde4 without semantic-
35 desktop. What I CAN say, however, is that turning off semantic-desktop
36 at build-time made kde4 enough faster it was like an MS platform person
37 discovering how many resources the malware had been taking.
38 Additionally, while I had stated that kde4 finally matured enough to
39 replace kde 3.5.10 with 4.5.4+, and that 4.5 was what really /should/
40 have been numbered 4.0, only after I turned off semantic desktop
41 (basically, at my 4.6 to 4.7 upgrade), was I ready to say that kde4 had
42 now not only /matched/ kde3 for me (that was with 4.5), but with semantic-
43 desktop turned off, it now /exceeded/ kde 3.5.10 for me.
44
45 It should thus be obvious that I'm quite happy with (now) kde 4.9, AS
46 LONG AS USE=-semantic-desktop. I'd be interested in someone that has
47 stayed with kde3 via kde-sunset, now trying kde4, with semantic-desktop
48 turned off, to see what their real opinion is. And, I can help with it,
49 providing hints, etc, if/when needed. Either here or on the kde-linux or
50 kde-general lists.
53 The other alternative I've seen reviewed is the qt4 based razorqt
54 desktop. This would most obviously and directly replace the plasma-
55 desktop component of kde4, altho the reviews I've seen have been on using
56 razorqt on its own. On its own, it looks to be a qt-based desktop
57 comparable to one of the light gtk-based desktops such as lxde or xfce.
58
59 IMO, running a razorqt desktop with individual kde4 apps should be a good
60 mix. Were I doing it I'd probably try for what amounted to a kde4
61 desktop with plasma-desktop replaced with razorqt, as kde4 is
62 componentized enough that should work, in theory anyway. However, I've
63 not seen any reviews of anyone trying to pull that off, nor have I
64 actually tried it myself as I'm actually quite happy with plasma-desktop
65 now that it has had some time to mature.
66
67 Again, I'd be quite interested in seeing someone now on kde-sunset try
68 razorqt, presumably with a few individual kde4 apps. Again, I'd help
69 them where I could, but obviously since I've not tried razorqt myself,
70 I'd be limited to helping more on the kde4 side.
75 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman