From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems - some progress
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 23:21:53
On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com> wrote:
> Newer versions?  Kernel 2.6.36 has a config option for RAID autodetect. > What are you referring to here, mdadm?
Even the newest kernel supports autodetect, but autodetect only works with a specific kind of RAID superblock, I think version 0.90. Different versions of mdadm create arrays with different versions of superblock by default. Newer versions of superblocks cannot (presently) be autodetected by the kernel, so anyone using a newer type of superblock will have to do the "manual" config like this anyway. As for why it's not working in your case, I really don't know, but hopefully you can at least get it working /somehow/ so that you can use your system normally to get real work done, and can investigate why auto-detect doesn't work the way you'd like it to with less urgency. I've got an old Gentoo system that takes days to update, but if the system is usable during that time it's not really a big deal to me. It's the days-long updates when the system is in an unusable state that are a real nightmare.
> @Paul, Ah, I see! > > The component drives in a RAID-1 array have the _same_ UUID, so I would > assume that a line in /etc/mdadm.conf such as: > > ARRAY /dev/md0 UUID=d3176595:06cb3677:46406ca7:d12d146f
Right, exactly. Sorry I didn't make it clear before. I consider it somewhat of a miracle that I ever got any of it working on my computer in the first place, so I'm definitely speaking from an "as far as I know" point of view here. It's something I set up when building the computer and never had to think about it again.

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems - some progress Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems - some progress Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>