From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Gnome disk-mounter applet
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 17:45:42
1 Yes, HAL and udev handle the back end, but the disk-mounter and and the
2 Gnome "Computer" window handle the UI, and the problem is with the UI.
3 The information presented is pretty much the same, and I probably should
4 have left the applet out of this. The "Computer" window presents an
5 icon for every appropriate entry in /etc/fstab. An entry in /etc/fstab
6 allows automounting, but the name of the mount point isn't where the
7 Gnome UI shows the drive to be mounted. Case in point:
8
9 I have a directory called /media/TRAVELDRIVE
10
11 I have an entry in /etc/fstab that says:
12
13 /dev/memorex_1gts /media/TRAVELDRIVE vfat noauto,users,dmask=007,fmask=117,gid=300 0 0
14
15 I get a "TRAVELDRIVE" icon in the Gnome "Computer" window as a result of
16 this entry in my fstab.
17
18 When I insert a Memorex Traveldrive USB drive, it's mounted, and a
19 window pops open with a title of "TRAVELDRIVE" displaying the contents
20 of said USB drive.
21
22 Now, in addition to the "TRAVELDRIVE" icon in my Gnome "Computer"
23 storage summary window, I have an icon labeled "Memorex TD Classic 003C:
24 TRAVELDRIVE". The plain ol' "TRAVELDRIVE" icon in this window, which is
25 there because of my fstab entry, is non-functional. The contents of the
26 USB drive are displayed by opening the "Memorex TD Classic .." Icon.
27
28 If I remove this entry from /etc/fstab and re-read it, the "TRAVELDRIVE"
29 icon goes away, but when I insert the USB drive, I get a mounting error,
30 as noted. Perhaps if I created a directory called "/media/Memorex TD
31 Classic 003C" and spec'd this in /etc/fstab, I could reduce the double
32 icon to a single one, but mount(8) doesn't like filenames with spaces in
33 them in /etc/fstab. I tried!
34
35 I've tried playing with mounting scripts in /etc/dev.d, but it looks as
36 if HAL and udev try to do their thing before reading these scripts, and
37 I can't seem to do an end run around the problem using this method.
38
39 Does this make the problem clear? It's an annoyance, possibly a bug, or
40 the result of my misunderstanding of the facility due to a severe lack
41 of documentation :-)
42