From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Sick of evolution!!
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 22:26:14
1 Once again, Evolution has stopped working for me. It crashes with a null
2 pointer error when I reach the end of a line in mail composition. It
3 freezes when I try to access my calendar (status line says it's trying to
4 open ~/.evolution/tasks/local/system/tasks.ics. I don't have any active
5 tasks!). It's eaten up a substantial part of a gig of drive space with mail
6 metafiles for stuff that's years old.
7
8 I can't access any of the information I need from my calendar. I mistakenly
9 relied on the program to store a bunch of professional appointments for the
10 coming weeks and months and now I'll apparently have to re-create a bunch of
11 this stuff from memory and by making a couple dozen phone calls. Bah!
12 Evolution is worse than Microsoft Outlook, and apparently a lot less stable.
13
14 I tried re-emerging evolution and evolution-data-server with no luck. I'm
15 rebuilding glibc to see if that helps.
16
17 Are there any programs out there (other than evolution) which will import an
18 evolution calendar and allow one to at least see it? Fortunately, I have my
19 contact database backed up to an LDAP db, and it seems that evolution still
20 works for my contacts, but it's taken to crashing regularly for email, and
21 when composing or replying to email, and I've fallen back to using mutt,
22 which never crashes.
23
24 Bah! Macs are looking better and better.
27 Lindsay Haisley | "Fighting against human | PGP public key
28 FMP Computer Services | creativity is like | available at
29 512-259-1190 | trying to eradicate | <http://pubkeys.fmp.com>
30 http://www.fmp.com | dandelions" |
31 | (Pamela Jones) |
32 --