From: Brent Busby <brent@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: kde-sunset: new akode build problems
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 17:42:15
1 On Sun, 22 Aug 2010, Dr Andrew John Hughes wrote:
2
3 > So libtool creates the symlinks and the la file, thus satisfying the
4 > Makefile requirements, but never actually invokes gcc to build the
5 > library, so the symlinks are to a non-existent library. The libtool
6 > being used is an old in-tree version:
7 [...]
8
9 > # ../../libtool --version
10 > ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5a (1.1240 2003/06/26 06:55:19)
11 >
12 > If just 'libtool' is invoked instead,
13 >
14 > # libtool --version
15 > libtool (GNU libtool) 2.2.10
16 [...]
17
18 > the right thing is done and the library is built.
19
20 That explains why Ladislav said earlier he was able to build the library
21 manually.
22
23 > Note that libakode.so.2.0.0 is now there. On x86_64, I also had to
24 > patch the Makefile to add -fPIC to the CFLAGS otherwise the link
25 > failed with a relocatable symbol error.
26
27 In general terms (not specific to this particular package), what do you
28 do in the Makefile to fix that? I've been trying to fix the ebuild for
29 games-fps/quakeforge on x86_64 (bug #294388), which seems to run into
30 the same problem trying to build a shared object without -fPIC. There
31 might be a lot of older packages that need this out there, and I'd like
32 to know what the basic idea is to fix them myself.
33
34 > I'd be interested to know when this was last known to build, as the
35 > in-tree libtool is clearly buggy.
36
37 It worked for me earlier this year on x86_64, but using GCC 4.3, and
38 before the policy switch to libtool with '--as-needed'. I don't know if
39 it was the compiler switch or the new libtool options that made the
40 difference, but I'd imagine it's the latter, since GCC 4.3 and 4.4 are
41 supposed to act about 99% the same.
44 + Brent A. Busby + "We've all heard that a million monkeys
45 + UNIX Systems Admin + banging on a million typewriters will
46 + University of Chicago + eventually reproduce the entire works of
47 + Physical Sciences Div. + Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet,
48 + James Franck Institute + we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky