From: Brent Busby <brent@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 09:41:44
1 On Sun, 20 Mar 2011, Jean-Marc Beaune wrote:
2
3 > This is due to ATA/ATAPI (DEPRECATED) being disabled in newer kernels,
4 > replaced by Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers.
5 >
6 > Make sure you enabled this support properly.
7 >
8 > In my case that happened to me as well, on a remote computer, which was my
9 > mother's box...
10 >
11 > Anyway, in fstab /dev/sdXX shoud work, at least I made this change on a
12 > couple of machines and that went fine.
13
14 Yes, I went through this also awhile back. All your drivers should now
15 come from the Sata section, both the Sata drivers for your hard drives,
16 plus the Pata drivers for any Pata DVD drives you may have. There are
17 now Pata support drivers living in the Sata section. You should turn
18 off the toggle for the entire old Pata driver section in menuconfig.
19 If you have only Pata drives, you should just use the Pata drivers from
20 the Sata section by themselves. No need for anything in the old Pata
21 section in any case anymore.
22
23 The newer Sata subsystem Pata drivers had been included before in the
24 kernel for a long time as deprecated drivers for people to beta test,
25 and the regular Pata drivers were recommended for use. Now it's
26 reversed -- the Pata drivers in the Sata section are recommended, and
27 the old Pata drivers from the Pata section are deprecated...expecially
28 because they don't work anymore with current versions of udev!
31 + Brent A. Busby + "We've all heard that a million monkeys
32 + UNIX Systems Admin + banging on a million typewriters will
33 + University of Chicago + eventually reproduce the entire works of
34 + Physical Sciences Div. + Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet,
35 + James Franck Institute + we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky