From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Adding a text fiile printer (or any printer) in OpenOffice
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 03:14:53
1 I have some very old (Wordstar 3) documents which I'd like to print to a
2 plain text file with simple newlines, page headers and footers, etc, so
3 I need a generic printer with a "print to file" option. There's no such
4 printer available on OpenOffice, so I tried to add one.
5
6 The OpenOffice help tells me to change to the directory containing
7 spadmin and run ./spadmin, which opens up, shows me the installed
8 printers, and offers a "New Printer" button. When I press the "New
9 Printer" button I get a small dialog titled "Add Printer" with a banner
10 asking me to "Chose a device type". There are 4 radio button below
11 this, and "Add a printer" is disabled.
12
13 "Connect a fax device" is pre-checked, "Connect a PDF converter" is
14 available, and "Import printers from StarOffice" is disabled.
15
16 I obviously want to be able to click on the 1st disabled option, "Add a
17 printer". Why is this option disabled and how to I enable it so I can
18 access it?
19
20 The same thing happens whether I run spadmin as my normal non-priv user
21 or as root.
24 Lindsay Haisley | "In an open world, | PGP public key
25 FMP Computer Services | who needs Windows | available at
26 512-259-1190 | or Gates" | http://pubkeys.fmp.com
27 http://www.fmp.com | |
30 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list