From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: questions and sundry gripes about X11 multihead (it's a rant)
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 11:06:04
1 Brent Busby posted on Mon, 30 Dec 2013 10:34:41 -0600 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Mon, 30 Dec 2013, Duncan wrote:
4 >
5 >> First to address randr. I believe a lot there depends upon the
6 >> flexibility and configurability of your window manager.
7 >
8 > I did read about a window manager called Awesome that's supposed to be
9 > more multihead-aware than any other, including specific support for
10 > Zaphod mode (if you can get your card's video driver to do it at all).
11
12 Indeed. I've seen some very good reviews of awesome as well. =:^)
13
14 > That brings up an interesting possibility: Since I'd heard everywhere
15 > that basically RandR has supplanted Xinerama, I have my system compiled
16 > globally with USE=-xinerama. Does this mean that if I turn USE=xinerama
17 > on, I may be able to get window placement to behave?
18
19 Definitely so (tho of course USE=xinerama behavior, as with any USE flag,
20 will be somewhat package dependent).
21
22 USE=xinerama doesn't necessarily refer to xinerama itself, but rather to
23 the general family of protocol extensions it introduced, many of which
24 survive the deprecation/demise of xinerama itself.
25
26 Things like per-monitor placement are part of those extensions, and are
27 still enabled by USE=xinerama even when it's randr or something else
28 providing the actual multi-monitor framework in X.
29
30 So I'd definitely try it.
31
32 If you list the output of equery hasuse xinerama, it's likely that
33 various people can fill in the blanks of what its effect is for each
34 package. Here's the packages I have installed here with that flag:
35
36 equery h xinerama
37 * Searching for USE flag xinerama ...
38 [IP-] [ ] dev-qt/qtgui-4.8.5-r1:4
39 [IP-] [ ] media-libs/libsdl-1.2.15-r4:0
40 [IP-] [ ] media-video/mplayer2-2.0_p20130428-r1:0
41 [IP-] [ ] x11-apps/xdpyinfo-1.3.1:0
42 [IP-] [ ] x11-libs/gtk+-2.24.22:2
43
44 qtgui, as I said, controls kwin and plasma-desktop behavior as well, as
45 might be expected since they're obviously multi-monitor sensitive and are
46 qt-based.
47
48 libsdl will likely control the full-screen behavior of various games,
49 anything based on sdl. Here, it controls dosbox. There's a lot of other
50 packages I have here depending on libsdl, including gegl (gimp), vlc,
51 ffmpeg and others (grub2? I wonder what /it/ does with sdl?), but I
52 don't believe they all use sdl for full-screen display, so the flag
53 likely has little/no effect on some of them. (For vlc, the qt-based
54 front-end is the default if built, while I suspect svlc is the sdl
55 variant, so the libsdl xinerama USE flag probably affects only svlc.)
56
57 mplayer2... I don't know, as I only use it thru frontends like (qt-based)
58 smplayer2.
59
60 xdpyinfo just prints display info, so all USE=xinerama could do for it is
61 add a bit more info there.
62
63 gtk+-2, I'd guess that affects fullscreen for all my gtk-2 based apps,
64 primarily firefox and claws-mail. (I run pan too, but it doesn't have a
65 built-in fullscreen option.)
66
67 > I'm still facing
68 > driver issues with the open source radeon driver, but this could at
69 > least be an answer to the window/desktop management problem (e.g.,
70 > maximizing windows fullscreen to just one monitor).
71
72 I'm running radeon here, too, generally ~amd64 but with a current (3.13-
73 rcX+) kernel, TURKS hardware (Radeon hd6670 or 6770 IIRC, neither dmesg
74 nor the xorg log seem to give the model number, only TURKS, these days).
75
76 I've been quite happy with it altho I don't do a lot of gaming. The
77 triple outputs are very nice, as I'm running 3 @ 1920x1080 stacked for
78 1920x3240. It's really something seeing kwin's cube or globe multi-
79 desktop effect on that, when two of them are 42-inch monitors that
80 stacked together fill practically an entire wall!
81
82 (The third monitor is actually off to the side as the two big monitors
83 take up the entire wall in front of me. It runs my superkaramba theme
84 with all sorts of system performance monitors, as seen in the screenshot
85 linked earlier. I logically stack, however, to avoid the "L" effect you
86 mentioned. Took a few days to get used to, mainly being aware that if I
87 can't find the pointer it might be on the third screen above/off-to-the-
88 side since nothing goes there but superkaramba and I wasn't used to
89 looking there, but it's working well for me now.)
94 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman