From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: KDE-Sunset : kdelibs problem : BUT
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 09:03:56
1 Fat-Zer posted on Wed, 31 Oct 2012 08:29:06 +0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > 2012/10/31 Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
4 >
5 >> 121030 Philip Webb wrote:
6 >> > 121031 Alex Alexander wrote:
7 >> > > Run "repoman manifest" in net-misc/mDNSResponder/ :)
8 >> > Thanks ! -- that was the final piece of the puzzle & I now have both
9 >> > Kmahjongg:3.5 & Kworldclock working !
10 >> > As I said, it's only a temporary fix till a lib change breaks it all
11 >>
12 >> or even more quickly, what happens when I next update Portage ?
13 >> -- will it wipe out net-misc/mDNSResponder ? -- can I avoid that ?
14 >> Yes, I have a copy of the files & can recreate it easily & anyway the
15 >> whole point is simply to get the apps working again, but can anyone
16 >> reassure me or confirm my expectation (smile) ?
17 >>
18 > you are supposed to create a local overlay for such stuff. As described
19 > e.g. here: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Portage_Overlay#Local_Overlays
20
21 Or in the handbook, Working with Portage, Diverting from the official
22 tree, here (this is the amd64 handbook, but it doesn't matter for this):
23
24 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=3&chap=5
27 How did you ever get the kde-sunset overlay setup without knowing about
28 overlays?
29
30 Meanwhile, if you don't know about that, you almost surely don't know
31 about a number of other important portage features. I'd suggest you
32 (re)read the whole working with portage part of the handbook. It's quite
33 possible you'll learn a lot more that'll make your gentoo life easier.
34 =:^)
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman