From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: console16x8.pcf(.gz) font?
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 10:00:29
1 Paul Hartman posted on Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:24:50 -0600 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:42 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
4 >> I have a bitmap font, console16x8 and the short/fat version,
5 >> console8x8, pcf format, from back in my Mandrake days. Unfortunately,
6 >> google isn't of much help in finding a current package with it
7 >> included, partly because a search on console font yields all sorts of
8 >> hits on fonts for the console, not /the/ (obviously in hindsight
9 >> unfortunately named) console font! That said, it /does/ seem the font
10 >> was part of the kde3 konsole package for many years (but is not part of
11 >> the konsole4 package).
12 >>
13 >> Before I go creating my own ebuild for it, I thought I'd ask if anyone
14 >> knows a current package containing it. The files will be
15 >> console16x8.pcf (perhaps with the .gz extension added, if compressed)
16 >> and console8x8.pcf.
17 >
18 > Perhaps you're looking for sys-apps/kbd which (on my system) contains a
19 > load of consolefonts.
20
21 Yes it does, but none of them is actually the font /named/ console, the
22 one I'm looking for.
23
24 And FWIW, that's precisely the problem I came up trying to google the
25 thing too -- I get all sorts of hits for console fonts (with other
26 names), but not /the/ "console" font! The only way I figured to sort
27 that out was to google the filename, console16x8.pcf, but while that did
28 come up with a reasonable number of hits, even most of those are false-
29 negatives in terms of actually figuring out what package it is, as
30 they're mostly font-trouble posts that happen to list that font among
31 others -- they're hits on general font issues, not on the "console"
32 font. And the few I /did/ find... were kde3 era konsole package, which
33 apparently did used to contain it, tho the kde4 era package does not.
34
35 But thanks for the reply. You tried!
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman