From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: console16x8.pcf(.gz) font?
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 10:00:29
Paul Hartman posted on Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:24:50 -0600 as excerpted:

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:42 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote: >> I have a bitmap font, console16x8 and the short/fat version, >> console8x8, pcf format, from back in my Mandrake days. Unfortunately, >> google isn't of much help in finding a current package with it >> included, partly because a search on console font yields all sorts of >> hits on fonts for the console, not /the/ (obviously in hindsight >> unfortunately named) console font! That said, it /does/ seem the font >> was part of the kde3 konsole package for many years (but is not part of >> the konsole4 package). >> >> Before I go creating my own ebuild for it, I thought I'd ask if anyone >> knows a current package containing it. The files will be >> console16x8.pcf (perhaps with the .gz extension added, if compressed) >> and console8x8.pcf. > > Perhaps you're looking for sys-apps/kbd which (on my system) contains a > load of consolefonts.
Yes it does, but none of them is actually the font /named/ console, the one I'm looking for. And FWIW, that's precisely the problem I came up trying to google the thing too -- I get all sorts of hits for console fonts (with other names), but not /the/ "console" font! The only way I figured to sort that out was to google the filename, console16x8.pcf, but while that did come up with a reasonable number of hits, even most of those are false- negatives in terms of actually figuring out what package it is, as they're mostly font-trouble posts that happen to list that font among others -- they're hits on general font issues, not on the "console" font. And the few I /did/ find... were kde3 era konsole package, which apparently did used to contain it, tho the kde4 era package does not. But thanks for the reply. You tried! -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman