From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Problem Emerging Gnome3 on Fresh Install
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 19:51:34
1 marduk posted on Thu, 17 Oct 2013 12:44:21 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > Doing everything at once (IMO) is just a recipe for headaches. The best
4 > thing is to do smaller steps, verify, then move to the next step. Sure
5 > you can do everything in one step, but when there is a problem it will
6 > be more difficult to figure out which change created which problem (was
7 > it switching to testing? switching to systemd? etc.).
8
9 FWIW as a kde user not a gnomie, but with a decade on gentoo early next
10 year, I'll heartily endorse that recommendation! All sorts of stuff is
11 possible on gentoo and it's more flexible than most binary distro users
12 could begin to imagine, but by the same token major changes can and do
13 occasionally get quite complex, and taking it a step at a time and
14 bringing the system to a consistent state (or as consistent as possible,
15 sometimes you break the consistent steps down into smaller steps too, and
16 only make sure the individual area you're working on is consistent for
17 that sub-step) at each step is /the/ way to success.
18
19 The same general policy applies once you're all current, if you then
20 slack off for a year and don't do updates, then try to get current
21 again. I do updates on my main machine generally weekly if not more
22 often, but I sometimes go a year or more between netbook updates[1],
23 which means there's almost certain to be blockers when I try to update
24 everything at once, but by breaking the big update into smaller
25 intermediate steps and just updating what I can at each step, I resolve
26 them one by one until there's no blockers remaining and I'm fully updated
27 once again.
28
29 ---
30 [1] I deliberately don't keep anything personal but the user passwords
31 themselves on the netbook, and contrary to what the name netbook implies,
32 I don't actually have wifi setup or do much networking other than behind
33 the local firewall with it, so otherwise vital security updates aren't a
34 big deal as exposure is very limited.
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman