From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 03:37:35
1 On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 21:39 -0500, Dale wrote:
2 > One other thing since this appears to be a PATA/IDE driver issue, make
3 > sure you remove the old IDE part in the kernel. I forgot that on my
4 > system when I switched from the old IDE drivers to PATA.
5
6 I turned it into a module, but the module may have been auto-loaded. I
7 didn't check.
8
9 > Also, if you use grub, you may be able to learn if things are laid out
10 > the way you think they are. I had two IDE drives attached to the mobo
11 > and one SATA drive attached to a SATA PCI card. I expected the kernel
12 > to see the drives attached to the mobo first then the drive connected to
13 > the SATA card. It didn't work that way. I used grub to figure out that
14 > it was seeing the drive attached to the card first then the drives
15 > attached to the mobo.
16
17 I don't think this is the issue. The rescue disk brings up all of the
18 drives, including some LVM drives on the mapper device, which are built
19 on top of RAID-1 pairs. Although in a boot w.o. the rescue disk, the
20 kernel recognizes the root filesystem when I spec it with /dev/sda4 in
21 grub.conf, this recognitions seems to be lost later in the boot process.
22
23 There may be some conflicts. /dev/hda1 is a VMware partition, which
24 becomes /dev/sda1 in newer kernels. /dev/sda1 is also a SATA partition
25 which is part of a RAID-1 array. The Linux RAID-1 and LVM stuff seem to
26 pretty much take care of themselves, as long as the RAID and
27 device-mapper drivers are available in the kernel or as modules, and
28 this seems tangential to the problem.
31 Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works if you let it"
32 FMP Computer Services | (The Roadie)
33 512-259-1190 |
34 http://www.fmp.com |