From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: System problems
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 19:17:17
Lindsay Haisley posted on Tue, 22 Mar 2011 10:41:24 -0500 as excerpted:

>> > Let's just bring this back to technical discussion of the problem, >> > shall we? I think that's what's needed here. >> >> Let me try one more time, then. On my original reply you only >> responded to the top half. In the second part I asked a question about >> whether you're running an initrd/initramfs > > Duncan, I'm very sorry to have overlooked your question (twice)! Please > accept my apology. The answer is no, on the box is question, I'm not > running an initrd/initramfs, and unless it's necessary I would rather > not do so. If I were, this would be one explanation for the problem.
I'm absolutely with you on that. If you don't need an initr*, it definitely makes the whole thing simpler to avoid it (as I too have done). (FWIW, my style is to make my opinion known, but go ahead and deal with the question too, to the extent that I can. You saw the opinion part and skipped the rest, which is understandable, I suppose... In any case it's straight now.)
>> I'm still waiting on an answer to that, but as I spent quite some time >> on the details the first AND second time, I'll simply refer you back to >> them this time. > > Thanks for following up. I'll re-read your posts and get back on this. > I haven't been able to follow up on the problem. It's planting season > here and beyond doing email I've been kinda tired and not up for late > night hacking after a day spent building a greenhouse or whatever. At > this point, with a cooler head and a verified back out path, I'm 99% > sure I can solve the problem myself. I was kind of freaked out when > this problem originally happened since I depend so heavily on the > desktop system for company billing, website development, customer > support, etc.
Panicking is certainly understandable, particularly coming at an already busy time of year. But that's behind us now. And simply having no time to deal with it for a few days is something I'm sure we all deal with, especially when there ends up a social crisis to deal with too. Sometimes it's all just too much and something has to give. When that's finally realized and done... it's like venting steam from an overheated nuclear reactor (apropos comparison ATM, if I do say so =:^), it might mean a slightly elevated immediate issue, but tends to deescalate the entire situation. Meanwhile, now we know the fork in the path to take. Without an initr*, the fact that you get even a limited userspace (not just a kernel panic) means that the kernel has the necessary drivers to get to and do the initial load of the rootfs. The problem must be beyond that, in the userspace config, initscripts or binaries. At this point I'd guess something like the udev/kernel-config-deprecated- sysfs issue someone else mentioned. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman