From: Brent Busby <brent@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] all hal ebuilds gone (was: kde-sunset: qt-meta-3.3.8b-r2 build failure with libpng < 1.5)
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 14:19:13
1 On Tue, 11 Oct 2011, E. Liddell wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 13:28:06 -0700
4 > "V. Ram" <vramml0@××××××××.fm> wrote:
5 >
6 >> Also, independently, it looks like there are no ebuilds for hal any more
7 >> even though the kde-sunset packages look for the hal USE flag. I was
8 >> never a big fan of hal, but automounting of media under KDE 3.5 is still
9 >> nice to have, and as I understand it, without hal, that will no longer
10 >> occur. Any recommendations on this issue as well?
11 >
12 > Have you tried the attic? http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/sys-apps/hal/?hideattic=0
13 > should have all the old main-tree ebuilds and patches for hal. Dunno what the
14 > result of installing it will be, though--I've never used an automounter with my
15 > system, so I was quite happy to kick hal to the curb even though I'm still
16 > using KDE 3.5.
17 >
18 > Alternatively, someone posted a patch to the Trinity dev ML about a month ago
19 > that was supposed to enable media detection without hal. It supposedly applies
20 > to vanilla KDE 3.5.10 just fine, but I have not used it and so can't confirm
21 > whether or not it works.
22
23 For awhile, hal and hal-info were masked, but you could still unmask
24 them to get removable media detection if you were using KDE 3 from the
25 sunset overlay. Now it appears that they aren't in the tree at all
26 (even masked), or in the overlay either. Is this it for HAL? If so, is
27 this it for removable media detection on KDE 3 until Trinity is fixed?
28
29 (If I had any sense, I'd also say this is it for KDE 3, but...)
32 + Brent A. Busby +
33 + Sr. UNIX Systems Admin + Vote for Cthulhu.
34 + University of Chicago +
35 + James Franck Institute + Why settle for the lesser evil?