From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 02:14:38
1 On 11:36 Sun 20 Mar , Lindsay Haisley wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 08:24 +0000, Jean-Marc Beaune wrote:
3 > > This is due to ATA/ATAPI (DEPRECATED) being disabled in newer kernels,
4 > > replaced by Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers.
5 > >
6 > > Make sure you enabled this support properly.
7 > >
8 > > In my case that happened to me as well, on a remote computer, which
9 > > was my mother's box...
10 > >
11 > > Anyway, in fstab /dev/sdXX shoud work, at least I made this change on
12 > > a couple of machines and that went fine.
13 >
14 > Jean-Marc, thanks. This gives me a bit of insight.
15 >
16 > I've been compiling kernels for this box for some time, carrying over
17 > the .config file between kernel versions and updating them. Last night
18 > I built IDE functionality as a module (it was previously compiled into
19 > the kernel, as per my carried-over .config files) thinking that I would
20 > simply not load it at run-time. As I noted in my post, while the the
21 > kernel recognized "root=/dev/sda4" as a kernel param, the boot process
22 > crashed with a note that "/dev/sda4" wasn't recognized. It's entirely
23 > possible that this module got auto-loaded, or that there's some other
24 > anomaly in my kernel config that's throwing things off.
25
26 I also suspect What Jean-Marc said is the problem. I'd recommend
27 completely disabling everything in the old ATA section to ensure it
28 doesn't attempt to control any devices, while building the PATA driver
29 into the kernel and using root=/dev/sdXN in the grub parameters.
30
31 The module approach should also work, but I always get a little
32 suspicious that it might build something else into the kernel
33 unnecessarily that causes problems.
34
35 > My next step is to completely rebuild the kernel, using the config built
36 > into the distributed kernel source, making only the necessary mods for
37 > the box's hardware needs. I'll find a time window during the next few
38 > days to work on this.
39
40 It might be a worthwhile step to boot from a LiveCD and run `lspci -k`
41 to identify the kernel modules. If the pciutils version on the CD is too
42 old, `pcimodules` might work instead.
45 Thanks,
46 Donnie
47
48 Donnie Berkholz