From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] python.org and ipv6
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 03:02:18
1 I'm having some problems reaching *.python.org with web browers here,
2 and the problem appears to be related to ipv6 issues. My desktop system
3 is connected to a Linux router which has an assigned /64 v6 block from
4 freenet6. Firefox defaults to using ipv6 if there's an AAAA record for
5 an address. This isn't a problem in most cases.
6
7 If I access most v6 enabled web servers, e.g. www.kame.net or
8 testmyipv6.com with firefox, no problem. I get back a page indicating
9 that I"ve made a v6 connection to the web server. www.python.org also
10 resolves with an aaaa record (2001:888:2000:d::a2), and I can ping6 the
11 server, so I know that routing is OK. I can't, however, get a response
12 from the server with a firefox, which just blocks trying to retrieve a
13 page.
14
15 If I disable the v6 address on the net IF on my desktop, firefox uses a
16 v4 connection immediately and the connection is OK, same for lynx. But
17 if the IF has a global v6 address both lynx and firefox block.
18
19 My immediate guess was that www.python.org is running a v6 enabled box
20 and has v6 routing to it, but that the web server there isn't v6
21 enabled. This still may be the case, however I _can_ use (v6-enabled)
22 lynx to get to the box from my router, and either something very strange
23 is going on, or the fallback to v4 algorithm for lynx on the router is
24 different from that on my desktop system. If I emerge lynx with
25 USE="-ipv6" on my desktop system I have no trouble getting to
26 www.python.org from that system with lynx.
29 Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works if you let it"
30 FMP Computer Services | (The Roadie)
31 512-259-1190 |
32 http://www.fmp.com |