From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 20:09:24
1 begin quote
2 On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 13:44:50 -0700
3 Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
4
5 > One of my goals as manager of the desktop project is to get things to
6 > "just work." Once they're emerged, just run them and things are good
7 > to go.
8 >
9 > Since I can't try everything, I need some feedback from you guys. What
10 > already does a great job at this? What stands out in your minds as
11 > being forgettable because of the lack of set-up effort?
15 > On the other side, what is really hard to configure? Where can we
16 > improve how we set things up when programs are emerged?
19 device access to cdrom's and cdrw with udev default settings. especially
20 on IDE where /dev/cdroms/* and /dev/cdrom are symlinks, the device is
21 created as hd? , which in turn is given the access of the "disk" group
22 rather than the "cdrom" or "cdrw" groups.
23
24 This effecitvely ruins cdburning and ripping for any and all users !=
25 root or != disk access.
26
27 And really. I wouldn't give disk access to -any- user.
30 USB sticks. just doesn't work by default , configuration and magic is
31 required.
32 (hald + fstab-sync solves this)
33
34 Multi user environment. Nope, doesn't work out of the box. pam does
35 nasty magic on the audio devices fex.
36
37 Language settings, including a way of personalizing it per-user.
38
39 Printers.
40 ugh ;P
43 //Spider