From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 20:09:24
begin  quote
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 13:44:50 -0700
Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> wrote:

> One of my goals as manager of the desktop project is to get things to > "just work." Once they're emerged, just run them and things are good > to go. > > Since I can't try everything, I need some feedback from you guys. What > already does a great job at this? What stands out in your minds as > being forgettable because of the lack of set-up effort?
> > On the other side, what is really hard to configure? Where can we > improve how we set things up when programs are emerged?
device access to cdrom's and cdrw with udev default settings. especially on IDE where /dev/cdroms/* and /dev/cdrom are symlinks, the device is created as hd? , which in turn is given the access of the "disk" group rather than the "cdrom" or "cdrw" groups. This effecitvely ruins cdburning and ripping for any and all users != root or != disk access. And really. I wouldn't give disk access to -any- user. USB sticks. just doesn't work by default , configuration and magic is required. (hald + fstab-sync solves this) Multi user environment. Nope, doesn't work out of the box. pam does nasty magic on the audio devices fex. Language settings, including a way of personalizing it per-user. Printers. ugh ;P //Spider -- begin .signature Tortured users / Laughing in pain See Microsoft KB Article Q265230 for more information. end

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't? Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>