From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] udev, fstab, and fsck at boot.
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 21:04:29
1 On Friday 19 November 2004 20:47, Chris Barker wrote:
2 > Anyway, the reason I got confused was that the fstab that came with the
3 > udev package had "BOOT", "ROOT", and "SWAP" in it with NO explanation
4 > that those were placeholders. They looked to me like they might be magic
5 > names that udev figured out for you. The fact that my system worked
6 > reinforced this idea. So:
7
8 Actually the manual CLEARLY states that they must be replace. Of course adding
9 it to the file itself is not a bad idea. You can however also use partition
10 labels and it will work.
11
12 > Another thought: Is there a way for portage to tell the difference
13 > between an install and an upgrade? and if an upgrade, what version is
14 > being upgraded from? In an upgrade, there is no need install a new
15 > config file unless the features or syntax of that config file has
16 > changed. In this case, I can think of no reason that I would ever have
17 > needed a new fstab after upgrading udev, and a BIG reason to keep the
18 > old one. It would be nice of portage could figure this out for me and
19 > not make me figure it out myself. Indeed, if there has been a change in
20 > features or syntax, I'd love to know what those changes are, in some
21 > easy to access place.
22
23 fstab should never update in any case, or the update should be based on the
24 current version. For updating trivial changes automatically, try
25 dispatch-conf. It's a lot more sophisticated than etc-update
26
27 Paul
30 Paul de Vrieze
31 Gentoo Developer