From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: CD-ROM mounting
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 22:26:28
1 Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com> posted
2 1217715027.11765.5.camel@××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Sat, 02 Aug
3 2008 17:10:27 -0500:
4
5 > This is a Royal PITA! We need to have, preferably as an easy to
6 > configure option, a consistent, named, filesystem location on which a
7 > particular device will mount, identified by the media type ("cdrom") or
8 > some other predictable name. I have a photo cataloging program I wrote
9 > which expects to find all photo CDs, which have different names
10 > reflecting dates and sequence, mounted at a location which can be
11 > specified in its config file. There are all kinds of applications which
12 > expect this!
13
14 It's the automount stuff that's breaking. If I just tell the hal/kde
15 popup to ignore the new media, and mount it manually, it works as
16 expected (mount still uses fstab, thank goodness). If I let hal mount
17 it, it does so but then I have to figure out where. So just not using
18 hal works in general; it was just the k3b thing that triggered a problem
19 here, because in that specific instance, right after a burn when it tries
20 to verify, apparently hal interferes, and there isn't a lot I can do to
21 avoid it, except doing the verify manually.
22
23 That's why I've not experienced serious problems elsewhere, however. I
24 tend to be very suspicious of automounting, etc, and in general don't use
25 it, preferring to issue the mount command directly, so I haven't had a
26 problem in general, only in that corner-case.
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman