From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Nautilus-CD-Burner issue
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:17:33
1 On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 21:44 -0600, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
2 > Portage may not be smart enough to work around selective use of unstable
3 > packages. e.g., I've had to use lm-sensors-2.8.8 (masked with ~x86) to get
4 > the package working, and have had to add a line to /etc/portage/package.mask
5 > to keep 'emerge -u world' from downgrading the package. If I set
6 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" then portage wants to upgrade _everything_ to
7 > unstable. Not good! So with "<sys-apps/lm-sensors-2.8.8" in package.mask,
8 > I get the following:
9
10 Delete lm-sensors from package.mask and add it to package.keywords as
11 follows:
12
13 sys-apps/lm-sensors ~x86
14
15 This will make portage always install the ~x86 version of the package.
16
17 > Quite frankly, I liked the -U ebuild option, which solves the problem, but
18 > apparently -U is going to go away.
19
20 Correct. It is superseded by package.keywords usage. We don't remove
21 functionality without having a good reason. The -U option was really
22 ugly and didn't work well with dependencies. The package.keywords route
23 works perfectly and is the way we will be supporting in the future.
24
25 > I know this is all rather OT for this list, but I appreciate the knowledge
26 > and advice!
29 Chris Gianelloni
30 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
31 Games - Developer
32 Gentoo Linux