From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Desktop problem with /dev/hda
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 10:13:06
1 Lindsay Haisley posted on Sat, 11 Sep 2010 19:17:36 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Sat, 2010-09-11 at 23:13 +0000, Duncan wrote:
4
5 >> I wish there were some way to really drum this into every Gentoo user's
6 >> head when they started, so they never ended up having to learn it the
7 >> hard way, as you did. But as they say, if wishes were fishes...
8 >
9 > You know, I set up my Gentoo boxes - 2 commercial servers and a desktop
10 > box - over 5 years ago.
11
12 I started in 2004. What was ironic was that for some reason I never did
13 actually figure out, 2004.0 didn't work for me, and by the time I got
14 around to working on it again, 2004.1 was out (in those days Gentoo did
15 four releases a year, one a quarter). But in the mean time I was
16 following the user list, the dev list, the desktop list, and the amd64
17 list. I had also read the handbook over, including the working with
18 portage and working with Gentoo sections (there wasn't yet a network
19 section). Plus, I read into the list archives a bit. So I had a decent
20 feel for all the common places folks had problems, and was actually
21 answering questions about Gentoo and helping people with the common
22 problems anyway, from my still-Mandrake box, before I even had Gentoo up
23 and running!
24
25 I always thought it was a shame how many folks read only the install
26 section of the handbook, and that only once, when they were actually
27 installing. Those folks may get a Gentoo system up and running, but miss
28 all the good hints that make it easier to administer! =:^( I wish there
29 were some way to have everybody go thru the process I did, actually
30 reading the handbook, then helping out on the forms/lists/irc, whichever
31 they prefer, for at least a month, before they actually got a working
32 install up and running. It'd make people's experience a /lot/ smoother,
33 once they did get up and running.
34
35 > Gentoo was a lot simpler then. There were no
36 > eselect news items to read because there was no eselect news. There was
37 > also no decent system to read the emerge notes, so Eldad Zack and I
38 > wrote one.
39
40 I think comparing it to steering systems is reasonable.
41
42 I installed from stage-1, because I wanted to understand it from the
43 ground up. And remember the bootstrapping script? Due to hardware issues
44 (borderline memory, really wasn't up to the clocking it was rated at, and
45 my system BIOS didn't have a way to underclock it until a BIOS update some
46 time later, after which it was solid as a rock on the same memory... until
47 I upgraded memory some years later), I couldn't get that whole script to
48 run at once, so I opened it up in an editor and did each step of the
49 script manually, redoing it, sometimes crashing and rebooting, until the
50 step completed successfully, after which I went to the next step.
51
52 I'd compare that to "tracked vehicle steering". Like Caterpillars or
53 other tracked vehicles, where you steer with levers that stop the tracks
54 on one side or the other, while the other continues to turn, so the
55 vehicle turns toward the stopped side.
56
57 Conventional stage-1 or stage-2 installs, like we did back then, without
58 eselect news, etc, would be like conventional direct steering, while using
59 the installer that was available for awhile, or a stage-3 tarball, is like
60 power steering.
61
62 Each level is easier, but more complex and farther removed from the
63 details. Power steering is a lot easier than conventional steering, which
64 is easier than tracked vehicle steering, but you lose the feel for the
65 road -- the reason sports-car enthusiasts generally prefer manual steering
66 and gearing -- automatic/power takes all the fun out of it!
67
68 > I've had to learn a lot of stuff "the hard way" but as the
69 > years go by I have less and less patience with having to get under the
70 > hood and tinker. I'm kinda stuck with what I have. My servers are
71 > running mysql 5.0. If I took them off line to upgrade everything to
72 > mysql 5.1, every system on the boxes on which my customers depend would
73 > break - mail service, DNS, SpamAssassin, billing, to mention a few, and
74 > these would be down for who knows how long. I'm almost 70 years old.
75 > I'll probably sell my business and let someone else worry about this
76 > crap before I get everything truly up-to-date.
77 >
78 > As far as the desktop system goes, I'll probably build a 2nd box, maybe
79 > running another distribution, and migrate stuff to it incrementally. My
80 > time and my sanity have value, and doing this may be less costly, in the
81 > long run, than trying to hack this 5-year old box and being without a
82 > desktop (and my company's billing system, and my email, and my web
83 > development tools, etc. etc.) until I get it figured out.
84
85 Wow! I'm often one of the older guys around, both in Linux dev circles
86 (I'm not really a dev but I enjoy hanging out with them and speaking the
87 lingo), where so many are in college, and quit when they get done and take
88 normal employment, and in my regular non-computer-related job. But I'm
89 only in my lower to mid 40s (nearing 44).
90
91 I've often wondered how long I'll keep up with Linux and Gentoo... tho I
92 do find Gentoo a perfect match for me right now. I've been around Gentoo
93 for over six years now, and expect that if it's still around in updated
94 but reasonably similar purposed form a decade from now, I'll very likely
95 still be running it. Two decades... it's very tough to predict /what/
96 computers will be like 20 years out, and Gentoo could easily be long gone
97 history by then, or changed so much it wouldn't be recognizable, but
98 still, it's conceivable that if it's still around, I might still be
99 running it. Put it this way: I don't foresee a reason to change,
100 assuming Gentoo's still around in similar purposed form, by then.
101
102 70's a bit beyond that, for me. Hopefully I'm still in reasonable shape
103 by then. I've idly speculated what it might be like when my generation
104 gets to that age. We're really the first ones to have computers, at least
105 C64 level, as kids or teens. How will that affect our approach to
106 technology as we age? I really don't know, but I sort of have this
107 picture in my head of me being involved with and perhaps president of the
108 LUG in my retirement home! =;^)
109
110 Would I still have the patience to run Gentoo, or would I be running
111 something really simple and hand-holdy, like Ubuntu, by then? What
112 questions to be contemplating! =:^)
113
114 FWIW, I've read very good things about Arch, including from a number of
115 former Gentooers who got tired of the full from-source for /everything/.
116 Apparently, it allows a lot more control of the installation than most
117 binary distributions, with rather less hassle than Gentoo. Like Gentoo,
118 it's a rolling distribution, something I'd consider a bonus. If I were to
119 consider taking it down a notch, that would be the first one I'd try. So
120 that's what I'd suggest, if indeed you are considering taking it down a
121 notch.
122
123 Beyond that, I think Debian unstable would be my next choice, for the
124 desktop, probably testing for servers. They're big enough to have the
125 power of numbers behind them, both people and packages, and are a
126 community distribution. Here at least, I consider that a good thing.
127 I've tried commercial/company-backed distributions and simply don't find
128 them appropriate for me. As such, I doubt I'll ever run a Mandriva,
129 Fedora, or Ubuntu, again, unless it happens due to my switching to the
130 computer field for my job, and it ends up just being simpler to run the
131 same thing on my own computers as well. But I don't see myself as happy
132 enough with such distributions to ever run them on my own. Thus, if I
133 /were/ to go mainstream binary distribution, Debian is almost certainly
134 what I'd choose, over the Redhats/Fedoras, NLSs/NLDs/SuSEs/OpenSuSEs,
135 Mandrivas, Ubuntus, etc.
136
137 > Enough of this geezer-rant. Peace and love to everyone in these crazy
138 > times. I mean it!
143 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman