From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 08:33:08
On Wednesday 06 October 2004 09:40, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> Thus spake Gábor Farkas on Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 02:23:59AM CDT
> Printers are an Issue in Linux, and it's not just Gentoo. Eric Raymond > sent a flame letter to the CUPS people a while back detailing his > horror story of setting up a CUPS printer. His story was chillingly > similar to my own experience. It was a nightmare! Maybe the Gentoo > devs could pick up the ball and make CUPS a little easier to use.
The main problem with cups is the lack of "default" supported printers. One needs foomatic or gimp-print-cups to add more printers. Foomatic however does not by default provide all printers it knows about to cups (Just a matter of generating ppd files and putting them in /usr/share/cups/model). Paul -- Paul de Vrieze Gentoo Developer Mail: pauldv@g.o Homepage:

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't? "Gábor Farkas" <gabor@××××.net>
Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't? Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>