From: Theo Chatzimichos <tampakrap@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Fwd: what packages do we want distros to ship ?
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:28:56
1 I think we should prepare an official answer here as Gentoo KDE Team so
2 state your opinions. I'll reply later as i am busy right now
3
4 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
5 From: Alexander Neundorf <neundorf@×××.org>
6 Date: Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 10:46 AM
7 Subject: what packages do we want distros to ship ?
8 To: kde-core-devel@×××.org
9 Cc: release-team@×××.org
12 Hi,
13
14 since I'm doing the build stuff I'm getting in contact with packagers from
15 distributions and their wishes.
16 One thing which I don't know what the current state is, is what type of KDE
17 packages do we want distributions to ship ?
18 We have the "modules" kdelibs, kdebase, kdepim etc. These are quite
19 corse-grained.
20 E.g. Slackware ships them that way, so you get a package kdebase.tar.gz
21 etc.#
22
23 E.g. Gentoo is on the other end, they modify the buildsystem so that they
24 can
25 ship everything as a single package. E.g they'd like to have a separate
26 package for each library in kdebase/workspace/.
27
28 Now, we could say, it's up to them, we don't care.
29 But that wouldn't be good. It would be better if we support what we want
30 them
31 to ship, so they have to do less (or no) modifications and we know what will
32 be shipped to our users.
33 Also making more fine-grained packages than whole-module-one-package can be
34 made easier for them if we consider this when writing the CMakeLists.txt.
35 (e.g. by keeping in mind that CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR and CMAKE_BINARY_DIR are
36 different when building a whole module instead of independent, by making
37 configure tests local to the application, etc.).
38
39 So, what do we expect what will be shipped ?
40
41 My guess is that it's somewhere in between, e.g. whole kdelibs, whole
42 kdepimlibs, whole kdebase/workspace libs, but separate e.g. kontact, kate,
43 kwin, kmail etc.
44
45 Alex