From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:43:23
1 On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 18:17, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
2 > Thus spake Mike C. Fletcher on Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 02:55:15PM CDT
3 > > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
4 > > ...
5 > >
6 > > >On the other side, what is really hard to configure? Where can we
7 > > >improve how we set things up when programs are emerged?
8 >
9 > Here's a big one on my wish-list! I think I saw a lengthy discussion of it
10 > in the bug tracker, or on one of the lists, and it looked like changes were
11 > in the works, but I never saw anything come down the pike that suggested
12 > that it was a done deal. Maybe it's there and it slipped by me.
13 >
14 > When I do a batch-emerge, such as 'emerge uU world', a lot of important
15 > informaton on various packages scrolls up the screen. Some of this stuff is
16 > must-read info, or stuff that would save a lot of time and research if I
17 > could read it. In Debian, with the ncurses debconf UI, I can swipe the
18 > important info screens and paste them into a file for review later. They
19 > all have <OK> buttons so they stay until you dismiss them. In Gentoo
20 > there's no way to do this. I've taken to doing emerges with my fingers
21 > ready on CTRL-S so I can stop and read, or save off, important stuff before
22 > it's gone off screen and out of the scroll buffer. Needless to say, this
23 > can eat up a lot of time. It sure would be VERY nice if there were some way
24 > to capture all the output from einfo and ewarn during a batch build so that
25 > I could go do something else and come back when the job was done and review
26 > all the messages relating to all the installed or updated packages.
27 >
28 > I'd really love for someone to tell me that this I'm a clueless RTFM idiot,
29 > that it's already done, and if I were half-way on the ball I'd be doing it
30 > already ;-)
31
32 It is still being worked on... there are a few preliminary patches out
33 there that do this, but nothing has gone official yet. There's always
34 /var/log/emerge.log, though... ;]
37 Chris Gianelloni
38 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
39 Games - Developer
40 Gentoo Linux
44 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list