From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:43:23
On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 18:17, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> Thus spake Mike C. Fletcher on Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 02:55:15PM CDT > > Donnie Berkholz wrote: > > ... > > > > >On the other side, what is really hard to configure? Where can we > > >improve how we set things up when programs are emerged? > > Here's a big one on my wish-list! I think I saw a lengthy discussion of it > in the bug tracker, or on one of the lists, and it looked like changes were > in the works, but I never saw anything come down the pike that suggested > that it was a done deal. Maybe it's there and it slipped by me. > > When I do a batch-emerge, such as 'emerge uU world', a lot of important > informaton on various packages scrolls up the screen. Some of this stuff is > must-read info, or stuff that would save a lot of time and research if I > could read it. In Debian, with the ncurses debconf UI, I can swipe the > important info screens and paste them into a file for review later. They > all have <OK> buttons so they stay until you dismiss them. In Gentoo > there's no way to do this. I've taken to doing emerges with my fingers > ready on CTRL-S so I can stop and read, or save off, important stuff before > it's gone off screen and out of the scroll buffer. Needless to say, this > can eat up a lot of time. It sure would be VERY nice if there were some way > to capture all the output from einfo and ewarn during a batch build so that > I could go do something else and come back when the job was done and review > all the messages relating to all the installed or updated packages. > > I'd really love for someone to tell me that this I'm a clueless RTFM idiot, > that it's already done, and if I were half-way on the ball I'd be doing it > already ;-)
It is still being worked on... there are a few preliminary patches out there that do this, but nothing has gone official yet. There's always /var/log/emerge.log, though... ;] -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager Games - Developer Gentoo Linux -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't? Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>