From: Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: phonon
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 20:56:57
1 Le Sat, 19 Nov 2011 15:34:19 +0000 (UTC),
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> a écrit :
3
4 > Dominique Michel posted on Sat, 19 Nov 2011 14:35:18 +0100 as
5 > excerpted:
6 >
7 > > I am using fvwm with fvwm-crystal. I use a few kde apps like kate or
8 > > kaffeine. I am also running jack all the time as sound server.
9 > >
10 > > The only one program I get trouble with this setup is kaffeine.
11 > > When the sound is working fine with the old kaffeine version for
12 > > kde3, it doesn't work at all with kaffeine for kde4. The problem
13 > > seam to come from kaffeine and phonon.
14 >
15 > > Do you know if the kde guys (the upstream for phonon for what I
16 > > know) do have any plan to solve this mess?
17 >
18 > The problem with qt-phonon was that the qt guys decided to use it for
19 > multimedia, then just as quickly (but after making it a part of qt4)
20 > decided it wasn't really what they needed for the mobile side and
21 > went with qt-multimedia instead. So it kind of got dropped as far as
22 > continued improvements go, but they had to continue shipping it since
23 > it was now part of the qt4 api.
24 >
25 > Of course, then nokia dropped much of their previous Linux/Qt-based-
26 > mobile emphasis and went with MS... kind of leaving the
27 > mobile-targeted qt-multimedia up in the air. <shrug>
28 >
29 > Qt5 is under development, but I honestly haven't the foggiest what
30 > they're doing with multimedia there. Perhaps they'll fully drop
31 > phonon. OTOH, perhaps now that the money angle isn't driving it to
32 > the same extent and any further platform ports will be purely
33 > community driven, perhaps they'll drop qt-multimedia (or keep the
34 > name but integrate phonon) and refocus on the desktop.
35 >
36 > Perhaps the best that has come out of the whole mess, is that qt
37 > itself is now fully free, sponsored by the qt-foundation, which was
38 > in turn setup by nokia, but is fully community governed and steered,
39 > now, with the nokia sponsored devs and other community devs now on
40 > the same footing -- it's a purely contributions based meritocracy now.
41
42 Nice move.
45 > > Do you know any solution that will let me to have sound from
46 > > kaffeine into jack when not running kde?
47 >
48 > I *STRONGLY* recommend that you try smplayer, instead. Back in the
49 > kde3 era I swore by kaffeine myself, but back when I last tried the
50 > kde4 kaffeine alpha, back in the kde 4.2/4.3 era when kde and gentoo
51 > were dropping kde3 support (with qt3 support already long gone
52 > upstream), it was a castrated wimp of its former self, with barely
53 > the basics working, non of its former power. Maybe it has improved
54 > since then, but I found something even better, for me at least, and
55 > haven't looked back.
56 >
57 > I went looking for something else, and stumbled upon the qt-4 based
58 > smplayer. For me, smplayer had all the configurability and power of
59 > kaffeine for kde3, if not more, and I've been using it ever since.
60 > =:^) As mentioned it's qt4 based, and can skin to look like a kde app
61 > if desired. However, because it's only qt4, not kde4, it doesn't
62 > require any of the kde4 infrastructure, including the phonon that's
63 > giving you so much problems.
64 >
65 > But still a couple of caveats, that might or might not affect your
66 > usage. First, smplayer is (as the name implies) mplayer based, not
67 > xine- based as is kaffeine. I was originally a bit leery of that as
68 > I'd had problems with mplayer back in the day, but the problems seem
69 > to have been worked out and at least via smplayer, mplayer seems to
70 > be fine, now. =:^) Second, while smplayer appears to have
71 > tv-tuner-card functionality similar to that of kaffeine, I don't have
72 > such a device, so have no idea how it compares in that regard. All I
73 > know is that it /more/ than exceeded my expectations in regard to
74 > playing computer and dvd media, and is if anything, even more
75 > configurable, hotkeys, etc, than kaffeine was.
76 >
77 > So... I HIGHLY recommend that you try smplayer. I certainly haven't
78 > looked back at kaffeine since I did. Hopefully you'll be as happy
79 > with it as I've been. =:^)
82 I like mplayer, it is the best player around with alsaplayer. They
83 are simple, but get the job done. I try smplayer. It lack several
84 functions of kaffeine like the channel search and the EPG. I used
85 dvbscan from linuxtv-dvb-apps for searching the channels, and now the
86 dvb-s part of my card work with smplayer.
87
88 I still miss the recording facility of kaffeine. It is possible to add
89 a dumpstream in the options, but it would be better to use mencoder for
90 that. With mencoder, we would have the capability to transcode the
91 recording to another format.
92
93 I also have problem with the dvb-t part of the card. I finally get a
94 working channel list for the dvb-t. But I cannot get it to work with
95 mplayer. I get a workaround here :
96 https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=913466
97 but when I apply it, this is the dvb-s part of the card that is not
98 working any more. So I have to look if I can solve it with some custom
99 udev rules.
100
101 Cheers,
102 Dominique