From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Vmware [libgcc_s.so.1]
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:44:35
1 On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 12:52 -0400, Justin Denick wrote:
2 > Wow, that's weird you would tell me that I don't, because I had to do
3 > it today.
4
5 Yet, you didn't file a bug.
6
7 > And oh wow, it happened to this guy too.
8 > It happened here
9 > http://www.lxnaydesign.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=753&sid=fd67540a6eb10f7200700a600608ad76
10
11 RR4/RR64. I don't think I really need to say much more. They make
12 modifications to lots of things, so any reports from them are likely
13 bunk. It also doesn't help that the posts in question prove almost no
14 information.
15
16 > What's that? the actual vmware website has a post about it.
17
18 ...with almost no real information to actually see that the problem is
19 very likely a specific local problem that could probably be worked
20 around in a much different manner. Again, there's no bug report on it,
21 so who knows.
22
23 > Holy smokes Batman!!!
24
25 Yes, your amazing wit baffles even the Caped Crusader.
26
27 > http://www.vmware.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=370107
28 >
29 > I searched the list archives and seen no sign of this so i added one.
30 > If you are not affected than by it than all the better for you. Twice
31 > I have installed the vmware-workstation and each time I have had to
32 > link the afore mentioned file.
33
34 Perhaps, if you took a few moments to try to file a bug report and
35 actually get something like this resolved, if it is actually a bug,
36 rather than responding with pointless retorts, it would make the
37 situation better.
38
39 The funny thing is, as I have said, there are exactly 0 bug reports on
40 this. I, personally, run over 40 VMware Workstation installations,
41 using everything from GCC 3.3 to GCC 4.1.1. I also maintain VMware
42 Workstation, and have heard *nothing* about this, not even from the
43 people using the experimental overlay, and there have been *hundreds* of
44 people using it. While I am not saying that there is not a bug
45 affecting your system, I *am* saying that your *requirement* to get
46 VMware Workstation running is nothing of the sort.
47
48 Please file a bug report on this and we can determine the *real* cause
49 of the problem, as well as determine a proper solution. Either that, or
50 you can just continue with your witty bantor, and I can just ignore the
51 whole thing, since nobody else seems to be experiencing it or consider
52 it important enough to file a bug.
53