From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Vulnerabilities on an RFC-1918 masqueraded Linux box.
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 19:07:56
On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 19:30 +0100, Roman Zilka wrote:
> > > I suggest quitting this discussion. It's getting way > > > off-topic, too general and unfit for this mailinglist, as all these > > > questions can be answered by checking sources someone else has > > > previously spent their time on writing. > > > > Roman, are you a moderator on this list? The Gentoo website describes > > it as a "Mailing list devoted to Gentoo on the desktop" so I assumed > > that Gentoo desktop security was an appropriate topic. > > > > That having been said, perhaps you might recommend a few of the best > > "sources someone else has previously spent their time on writing" since > > you seem to have knowledge of these, and I'll be happy to let the thread > > drop. > > This is exactly what this mailinglist primarily isn't for: re-relling > stories Google can tell better, answering questions Google can answer. I > say "primarily" - an off-topic off-shot here and there can't harm > anyone, but we've had some already. If the list didn't have this policy > and if it didn't more or less stick to it, it would have become a chat > room for anyone who just doesn't want to take the time to search for > themselves and instead opts for the lazier choice: just ask others, > it's easier.
Well I didn't see anything about this in the list description on the Gentoo website. I guess there's a list description that you apparently know about that I missed. On friendly lists, people give useful references when asked for them and don't suggest that others are "lazy" when asking for them.
> I know it because I've been monitoring this list for years > (read-only, for the most part). As you say: the list is for Gentoo on > desktops. Not for general Linux security discussion. True, Gentoo is > Linux, but we're here for Gentoo specifically. Otherwise we could just > call the list "the list on everything" because, for example, Gentoo > runs on CPUs and CPUs are in desktops, so random chat about CPU-related > stuff is related to Gentoo on desktops. The same for any piece of > hardware, and more than that. You get the idea.
Oh! Well that's abundantly clear!
> You boldly state that you'll be happy to drop this thread if certain > conditions of yours are met. It sounds like you believe only you decide > whether the thread is dropped or not and when. Well, it's not true.
C'est la vie. I politely asked you for a reference or two on the subject, which you could have given me off list, if you'd wanted, using far fewer words than you've used here to berate me. Others on this list have been more generous, thoughtful and polite. Perhaps you would also be kind enough to refrain from commenting further on my Gentoo desktop booting problem, which is obviously a general _Linux_ problem, and probably not appropriate for this forum either. I've asked Jorge in private email for suggestions for a more appropriate forum in which to pursue it. In any event, your participation on _that_ thread, while minimally helpful, has mostly yielded more heat than light. And if you're not the moderator on this list, then who is, and would the moderator please point me, via private email, to a full description of what's appropriate and not appropriate for discussion on this list? - something more complete than the simple, rather general description which I read on <>. Roman, since you seem to know a great deal about it, perhaps _you_ could point me such a description. I'm really not lazy, I just can't seem to find it. Please excuse me if I don't just take your word for it, but I don't see in your email address, and it's not clear to me that you have any more authority than I do in the matter. -- Lindsay Haisley | "Real programmers use butterflies" FMP Computer Services | - xkcd 512-259-1190 | |