From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] kde-sunset
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 02:12:00
1 Am Donnerstag, 05.12.2013 um 13:22
2 schrieb Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>:
3
4 > 131205 wabenbau@×××××.com wrote:
5 > > I was a KDE user for many years (starting with KDE version 0.4)
6 > > but since KDE4 ousted KDE3 I'm using XFCE.
7 >
8 > I recommend Fluxbox for those wanting a simple life.
9
10 In the beginnning of my "linux life" I first use xfwm, then I used
11 sawfish, then windowmaker and finally icewm. But later, with the help of
12 kde, I become a very lazy user and I like it when I can easy add menus
13 and buttons and other stuff to my taskbar or change the style of my
14 desktop without the need to edit configuration files. That's the reason
15 why I'm using xfce now. It's easy to configure and it's not bloated with
16 stuff, that I don't need.
17
18 I don't know much about fluxbox. Is it easy to customize?
19
20 > > Because I wanna have a "tree-mode" in my file manager,
21 > > I'm using nautilus instead of thunar.
22 >
23 > Try Krusader : you can get a tree via the pop-up window.
24 > Krusader is a very powerful file manager.
25
26 Thanks for the tip. I've installed it and played with for a while and it
27 really seems to be very powerful. But besides the fact that I don't
28 like dual window file managers very much, it doesn't have the kind of
29 tree mode that I want. It just displays the directory structure as a
30 tree, but without regular files. Or at least I haven't found an option
31 for that. Could it be that I have overseen something?
32
33 > > I think about installing the kde-sunset overlay
34 > > because I always was happy with KDE3.
35 > > 1. How secure is it to use KDE 3.5 from the kde-sunset overlay?
36 > > Are there maybe security leaks that are fixed in KDE4 but not in
37 > > KDE 3.5?
38 >
39 > I believe they try to fix serious security holes :
40 > it depends on what you plan to do.
41
42 I think, I will stick with xfce as desktop/window manager. All I wanna
43 use from KDE is konqueror, kate, kruler, kcalc, kcharselect and maybe
44 some other little tools.
45 But the internet functionality of konqueror (sftp) is also important
46 for me. If there are security flaws in konqueror regarding remote
47 connections then this would be a problem.
48
49 > > 2. I have some KDE4 programs installed.
50 > > Do I have to uninstall all KDE4 stuff before I can install KDE 3.5?
51 >
52 > No : I have KDE Sunset installed for 3 small games
53 > -- Kmahjongg Ksokoban Kworldclock -- , but use KDE 4 for many other
54 > apps.
55
56 Ok, thats good to know.
57
58 > > 3. Are there any other things that I have to take care of
59 > > before I install KDE 3.5?
60 >
61 > You need to check the dox re how to install + manage overlays.
62
63 Ok. Of course I will do this if I should try out KDE3. But after all
64 the information I got from this list, I really have to think about
65 other options. First I should test konqueror4 again. Maybe it is better
66 now. If this isn't the case, I will try gnome3. If this also sucks,
67 well then I will quit computing. ;-)
68
69 Regards