From: Liu Chuan <chuan.sam@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] strange problem with kdm
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 06:00:43
1 After installing kde through "emerge kdebase-meta" and test with
2 "startx" of no problem, I add xdm to default runlevel with modifying
3 display manager to kdm in "rc.conf". However when I reboot the
4 computer, the screen turn black for a second and then up without kdm
5 start. The log file only contain following info about kdm:
6
7 kdm[5526]: x server for display: 0 terminated unexpectedly
8 kdm[5526]: unknow session exit code 0 (sig 9) from manager process
9
10 "ps -ef" show kdm[5526] are still running.
11 However when I del xdm from default runlevel or kill 5526 then type:
12 /etc/init.d/xdm start
13 the kdm just turn out to run smoothly.
14
15 Start with default xdm in rc.conf also had no problem.
16 It is so strange that there is no problem to start kdm after login
17 from command line, and only to fail at start-up in default runlevel.
18
19 Any idea about the problem appreciated.
20 Actually I want to know what is the difference between running
21 "/etc/init.d/script start" and running from default level.
22
23 Thanks in advance.
26 Chuan
29 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list