From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Multimedia Playback Speed
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 08:24:59
1 On Tuesday 18 April 2006 06:35, Rémi Cardona wrote:
2 > Lindsay Haisley wrote:
3 > > Also, why would I only have the problem of things running double-speed
4 > > when sound is turned _on_ in mplayer?
5 >
6 > mplayer alsa output litteraly sucks. I had to change it to sdl (using
7 > alsa ... how ironic) otherwise some videos would skip every second or
8 > so. I guess mplayer and maybe others rely on the soundcard for proper
9 > timing. Others, like gstreamer-0.10 seem to have better timing code.
10 >
11 > Anyway, I'd recommend trying without sound, and also the other way
12 > around with "-vo null" to see if the sound is fine on its own.
13
14 Enabling rtc support in your kernel, and adjusting the user level precision
15 allowed really does help mplayer. That makes the timing suck a lot less.
16
17 (Add the following line to /etc/sysctl.conf)
18 dev.rtc.max-user-freq=1024
19
20 Paul
23 Paul de Vrieze