From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: kde-lean
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 09:27:08
1 Steven J. Long posted on Wed, 24 Jul 2013 03:04:52 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > Duncan wrote:
4 >> Something that's been bothering me a bit. So far, this "framework" is
5 >> pretty much just a function in my sync script that applies my patches
6 >> after a pull. It's pretty simple, not even that much code or time,
7 >> actually. So it'll need adapted for a wider audience, but I /do/ hope
8 >> to get at least the initial function posted to the forum before this
9 >> "weekend" is over.
10 >
11 > That's fine. Really it shouldn't be more than applying:
12 > /etc/portage/patches.ebuild/cat/pkg[-ver[-rN]].patch to the ebuild, and
13 > ensuring
14 > that any extra patches are in /files for the overlay, which afaic is the
15 > maintainer's job, but I'm happy for us to automate any part that's
16 > useful.
17
18 OK, so as my last post a few minutes ago mentioned, work finally slowed
19 down on the mountains of overtime they were giving me and I'm back to
20 wrap up these loose ends of threads I left marked to reply to later, even
21 tho time and events moved on and the original trigger is gone.
22
23 Are you still interested in doing something with this general ebuild
24 patching framework? While the semantic-desktop use is gone, I still find
25 it useful for the occasional ebuild patch, and keeping the framework
26 around and working means the next time something like this comes up,
27 it'll be far easier to deal with.
28
29 And if you have a different list to take the discussion to, I'm open to
30 that too. I prefer not to go just personal mail, however, because that's
31 too easy to let drop and never come back to if something dumps on me like
32 those mountains of overtime did. IOW, were this thread private mail, I'd
33 have never done this followup... At least with the public threads,
34 there's some reason to come back and wrap up, if nothing else, and that
35 could ultimately mean the difference between this project going public
36 and it staying just a bunch of scripts I use myself, locally.
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman