From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Cc: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 02:32:50
1 On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 00:37 -0100, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 > As such, I would kindly like to ask everyone on this thread to "calm
3 > down" and to please try to reply in a respectful manner to any poster on
4 > this ml.
5
6 Thank you, Jorge. I will do so, going forward.
7
8 > I have to agree with other posters in this ml that your tone when you
9 > started this thread asking for help wasn't the best one.
10
11 I was kinda freaked out. I depend on my desktop system for so many
12 things in a day, and it's _way_ behind in updates, I know. I got pushed
13 into a kernel update by a simple software mod, which required a perl
14 update, which required that I run perl-cleaner, which has issues of its
15 own, and somewhere along the way I ran into a dependency on a newer
16 version of udev, which depended on a newer kernel, which I'd tried to
17 install before with the same or similar problems. I couldn't make
18 things work and had to resort to a rescue disk to back out. I felt
19 cornered, and I guess my plea for help showed it.
20
21 I actually have enough knowledge and experience with Linux that I can
22 probably solve this problem myself if I approach it methodically with a
23 clear head.
24
25 > Thank you for the apology you've sent to the list about your tone. Let's
26 > try to move forward and see if / how we can help you.
27
28 I can eat crow with the best of 'em, Jorge.
29
30 > PS - Lindsay, two last notes about your issue and your time constraints.
31 > This type of issue might be easier to diagnose on IRC (one good place is
32 > #gentoo in the freenode network) where a short intense session may prove
33 > to be quicker in the end. Also, I haven't seen anyone mention that the
34 > latest udev versions react *very* badly to CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2.
35
36 Ah! Thanks for the heads-up on this. This switch is _not_ on in my
37 newer kernel, and doesn't exist in my older kernel. CONFIG_SYSFS,
38 however, _is_ on as I assume it should be for /sys on which udev
39 depends.
40
41 I don't know why udev hasn't been completely integrated into kernel
42 development. It's become so much a part of modern Linux and is so
43 interdependent with the kernel. Yes, it's in user space, but so are
44 other kernel hooks.
45
46 > So be sure to check if you disable that as iirc udev will refuse to
47 > create the proper device nodes if that kernel option is active.
48
49 Question: There are switch and value dependencies in the kernel that
50 are Gentoo specific, or specific to system configurations favored by
51 Gentoo (similar to what you mentioned above). If I emerge a Gentoo
52 kernel, are the default configuration options for that kernel set by
53 Gentoo devs so as to build a kernel which will avoid these kinds of
54 "gotchas"? In other words, if I build a gentoo kernel out of the box,
55 as opposed to a vanilla kernel from kernel.org, do I gain an advantage
56 with regard to possibly problematic configuration options on a fairly
57 standard Gentoo system? I hope this makes sense.
58
59 > PPS - If you decide to test our IRC support, feel free to poke me in any
60 > channel or to /msg me in private.
61
62 Jorge, thank you SO MUCH, for this, (and for being an adult in the
63 sandbox. I wasn't at the top of my game today :-)
66 Lindsay Haisley | "Humor will get you through times of no humor
67 FMP Computer Services | better than no humor will get you through
68 512-259-1190 | times of humor."
69 http://www.fmp.com | - Butch Hancock